mmmmmmmmmmlli mmmmmmmmmmlli mmmmmmmmmmlli mmmmmmmmmmlli


We care, for the better.

A place for families, because you don't have to use drugs to be affected by them.

sign in

Sign in to make comments and contribute your own stories. Or click here to register if you've never used the blog before.

Sign In

Want to find a support group? Enter your postcode or town below to find a support group near you.

Find help

Share Your Story

there is hope keep going

Posted by keppster on 22 October 2013.

Life at the beginning was good but confusing as I did not know he had a drink problem. Being married to an alcoholic has been violent, heartbreaking, and most of all lonely.
But after 10 years my husband admitted he had a drink problem and wanted help. The hard task started looking for help as this was 20 year ago.
The GP sent him for treatment at a drink and drugs clinic, the treatment lasted a week then you were on your own unless you went to AA which is a good place but my hubby thought it too religious and didn’t take to it. I myself tried going to Al Anon but that didn’t work for me either(there was no where else to go). He ended up in mental hospital for a month and that did the trick.
He got a really good job we bought our first home and everyone was wonderful.  This lasted a few years then he had a stroke and other physical problems which meant he lost his job. He ended up with a lot of memory/cognitive problems which hubby found hard to cope with. We lost our home and got into a lot of debt. Drink became his only refuged so he thought so out it came again. The more the depression stepped up the more the drinking got worse. 
I tried everything I could our GP, hospitals drink and drug clinics only to be told there was a waiting list of at least 6 weeks to be seen. He would be dead I thought and he cannot do this do it alone. We were desperate and oh so lonely. He started to hurt himself so I called the crisis team and was told yes they would come up but only if he was sober. 
After a few weeks of trying to kill himself he ran out of the house one night with a knife. My son found his father just as he was getting arrested at the doors of the mental hospital (he had been crying to get in).
We were at county court for 8 months fighting to stop hubby from going to prison. Lucky we had a very good judge and he saw that so he put hubby in a mental hospital and got the help he needed. That was three years ago. Life was good again.
But my son got married this may and guess what yes he had a drink and it started again. But this time there was the help quickly and the follow up. So now we are back on track again. Hubby is happy I am happy with our little lives. Most of this is is due to a CPN nurse who cared enough to send him quickly to unity and not have to wait 6 weeks, which he would have been dead if he waited. Matt my hobby’s care worker at unity sent him straight up the hospital (with a letter explaining things) and he was admitted.
Matt was there throughout stay in and out of hospital. He also gave me support and made me feel that I was not alone. 
So a big thank you to Matt and unity that was there quickly,

You must be signed in to comment. To sign in, use the form to the right, or click here to register if you've never used the blog before.