: Share Your Story

Discuss what it's really like with your peers

13 replies

Can we do this together? Cold turkey

I made my first post yesterday. I need to try cold turkey again. Starting tomorrow. I don’t want to do this on my own. I’m 64-96 N+ a day I know what the brufen is doing. A withdrawal must be easier than a death. Anyone in with me

replying to Cinslie21

Hi Cinslie,

Many thanks for your post. I have been on around 48 N+ a day and pretty much know that the burden is destroying my insides. Ive tried to quit multiple times and reach the 5 day mark quite often. I'm willing to try again and knowing that I'm doing this at the same time as other will no doubt help.

I have an appointment with a drug and alcohol clinic tomorrow which i hope will provide guidance on how to tackle my addictions. i'll share any advice i receive in the event i feel it is helpful.

Good luck and I'm with you! x

replying to Cinslie21

Thanks. Good luck to you too! I will start tomorrow. Maybe knowing we aren’t the only ones going through it will help. How does a withdrawal make you feel x

replying to Cinslie21

For me personally, the withdrawal consists of flu like symptoms with achey joints, extremely tired, runny nose and watery eyes and... extreme diahrea! you can take some immdoium to help counter that but where you would normally have constipation with the codeine, the opposite happens when you stop!

I have had my dose of N+ this morning but i'll try again to make that my last and therefore lets encourage each other to stay off this nasty shit.

For me, whilst the withdrawals are horrible, i can usually get through the worst of it but for some reason I give up on being strong and relapse after a few days (usually after the worst physical symptoms start to fade). I'm not sure how to address the relapse problem.

Good luck in stopping and happy to check in with each other on here daily to confirm we are getting through this? :) x

replying to Cinslie21

Absolutely. Do u ever hear your pulse in your ear from the brufen OD? Yes it’s the pure exhaustion and lack of interest that gets me the worst. The thought of getting up for the day fills me with anxiety. I can’t do any house work , I just want to flop in a heap. I’m away to work (which I can only do because I’ve had my dose). Speak soon x

replying to Cinslie21

Ah wow, I wondered what that was. yeah I get a red flushed face with pulse in left ear sometimes. scary if that is due to the overdose of ibuprofen.

Yeah it does feel like the only way to continue is to keep the dose going doesn't it? especially as the withdrawals will make the anxiety and lack of motivation worse :(. it feels like being completely trapped.

we can do this though! we have to as we wont last forever with these constant doses of N+.

Hope your day is good and lets fight this! speak soon x

replying to Cinslie21

Thank you for the support. Having this will hopefully get me through. Don’t want to be a let down x

replying to Cinslie21

Hi Cinslie,

How are you? Did you manage to start your journey on stopping? I hope you are ok x

replying to Cinslie21

Hey how are you both going I can relate have been taking 32 tabs minimum for nearly five years and I know in really harming myself. I get sleep apnoea most nights waking up with a start. I found the routes to recovery road maps helpful in explaining opiate withdrawal syndrome. I have stopped so many times often cave at the 5 day mark. I live off loperamide and ranitidine. I just want my life back

Access to this forum has been temporarily disabled for all users. If you are looking for immediate support, you can call the Samaritans on 116 123.

We have temporarily closed this forum for maintenance and review.

Adfam exists to provide support for, and improve the lives of, families affected by substance use, and we have found that in recent months the balance of posts has shifted to focus on users’ personal issues with substances and addiction. While we recognise that these are issues that deserve support, the high volume of posts had become unmanageable for our small team, and was preventing us from facilitating support for families. We have closed the forum to re-evaluate, and we will be re-launching as soon as possible with a renewed focus on family support. From that point on, we will not be facilitating any conversation regarding individuals’ own substance use.

If you are looking for support for your own substance use, there are other community-based forums online, such as at www.reddit.com/r/drugs and www.reddit.com/r/alcohol.

If you are affected by a loved one’s drug or alcohol use, and you are looking for support, you can find local services and recommended helplines on our Search for local support page.

If you have any queries, comments, or suggestions for our relaunched forum please do get in touch: forum@admin.org.uk