We care, for the better.
A place for professionals to develop innovative practice, connect with their peers and put families first.
- The Family Angle
- Grandparent carers
- Bouncing back
- Criminal justice work
- Domestic violence
- Diverse families
- Somali development
- Workforce development
- BEAD (Bereaved through Alcohol and Drugs) Project
- Older Carers
- Opioid Substitution Treatment and risks to children
- Drug education and prevention
- Family Recovery Champions – Royal Borough of Greenwich
- Recovery Partnership
- Peterborough Kinship Care Support Service
- Relationship Realities: Couple relationships project
- Child to Parent Abuse Project
- Engaging young people in Newham
- The Alcohol and Families Alliance
- Dual Diagnosis
- Respite for Greenwich families
Support Adfam and receive our policy briefings.
You have successfully signed up to receive our policy briefing.
On Twitter? Get up to date information directly to your feed. Follow @AdfamUK.
Supporting grandparents raising their grandchildren
The Adfam Grandparent Carers project looked at existing services in London and developed new ways of supporting grandparents who were bringing up their grandchildren because of parental substance misuse.
The project aimed to improve recognition of grandparents' specific needs, including multiple caring roles (for their grandchildren, their drug taking child and sometimes their partners, if they are elderly or in poor health); isolation; stigma; and feelings of mourning and loss over not only their child's future, but their own plans for retirement too.
A major product of the project was a toolkit for services to enable them to identify and support this group of carers:
- Working with grandparents raising their grandchildren due to parental substance misuse: learning from the Adfam Grandparent Carers Project (pdf).
The project also resulted in the creation of a new training course for professionals on the needs of grandparent carers and how best to support them.
Further resources from the Grandparent Carers Project:
- Overview article (pdf) written by the project coordinator
- Workshop slides (pdf)
- Forgotten families report (pdf) on grandparent carers
- Mind the Gap mentoring pack from Mentor UK
You can also purchase the Journeys booklet 'Helping your grandchild: what to do if their parents use drugs' in our online shop (family members can order a free copy).