: Share Your Story

Discuss what it's really like with your peers

1 reply

where do I go from here?

My wife is an alcoholic and abuses prescription drugs. It's been going on for 9 years, she's been through rehab for codeine addiction, after which she turned to alcohol. She's had acute liver failure, weeks in ICU, and has been on the verge of death several times. I feel I've been more patient with her than any person could be expected to be. She is non-functioning, leaving her bed only to get drink when I'm not here, typically 50 units daily, often much more. She plays absolutely no part in family life. I have been the sole carer, cook and cleaner for my children for many years. If I try to restrict her access to get out life becomes utterly intolerable for us. She has her own car and money (benefits) which I have no right to keep her from. Apart from the rehab 8 years ago she has refused all attempts to help her, and continues to do so. I have a very demanding job and her elderly father is dependent on me for support. I'm (finally) at the end of my tether. I have no future with her here, but I simply don't know what to do...

replying to espe

Hi,

Thank you for posting and sharing your story. I can understand that you feel at the end of your tether, as dealing with your wife's alcohol and prescription drug addiction must be very stressful and emotionally draining.

You sound like you could do with some help for yourself, so maybe you would like to contact us at The Icarus Trust. We are a charity that supports those people who are living with the impact of the addiction of a family member or friend.

if you contact us we would put you in touch with one of our experienced and trained people. You could talk with them which may help you to see a way ahead.

You can contact us on help@icarustrust.org or visit the website www.icarustrust.org

I hope that this helps. Good luck!

Please abide by our forum guidlines.