: Drugs, alcohol and mental health

Discuss the twin challenges of mental health and substance use

1 reply

replying to Dadict

Brilliant Maggie well done !! 😬 it will just keep getting better and better. Glad you messaged back I’m over the moon for you

replying to Dadict

Thank you so much ☺️ It means a lot to know someone out there understands . Thanks to your original post i decided to go through with it and fight for better life . Xxx

1 reply

replying to Dadict

That’s great well done hope I can get there one day your so strong 💪

replying to Danny Boy

Of course you can ! And you will ! I never thought i could be where i am now and here I am 😊 if you get to the point where you realize it's either this addiction or the rest of your life you can do anything you set your mind at. The first week is the worse but you have to take one day at a time and don't be afraid to ask for help 😊 keeping everything crossed for you 🤞

replying to Dadict

Hi

I've just joined this evening my husband has after a lot of lies he has a codeine addiction taking 10tablets a day for over 2yrs after alot of tears and talking he says he wants to quit cold turkey without and help from gp I'm petrified for him and our young family I suspected for a long time as he always tired uninterested in anything How can I help him?

2 replies

replying to Dadict

I asked my GP for stronger pain killers and he has put me on Tramadol.The Dihydrocodeine I was taking has been removed from my repeat meds order list,so I am withdrawing by default.

I have no idea how things will go as I have had no tapering of the dihydrocodeine,I have tried to give it up countless times but the awful withdrawal symptoms drive me back.Hopefully the Tramadol will get me through.I know its addictive,but everything I have read says its not as addictive as codeine.

I am shit scared of how this is going to go.This is day one and so far so good,Has anyone else used Tramadol to get off codeine ?

I need all the help I can get, and you seem to be a very supportive bunch !

replying to Dadict

I asked my GP for stronger pain killers and he has put me on Tramadol.The Dihydrocodeine I was taking has been removed from my repeat meds order list,so I am withdrawing by default.

I have no idea how things will go as I have had no tapering of the dihydrocodeine,I have tried to give it up countless times but the awful withdrawal symptoms drive me back.Hopefully the Tramadol will get me through.I know its addictive,but everything I have read says its not as addictive as codeine.

I am shit scared of how this is going to go.This is day one and so far so good,Has anyone else used Tramadol to get off codeine ?

I need all the help I can get, and you seem to be a very supportive bunch !

replying to DottyLotty

Hi Dotty . Replacing one opioid with another is not the best idea . It will help you get through codeine withdrawals but it's also addictive and side effects are a lot worse (that's only my experience) .cold turkey is the hardest way but also the quickest. Once I've passed the forth or fifth day and had a good night sleep i was like a different person .it's now just over a month since I've come off it and feeling stronger every day .My partner takes codeine so Its around me all the time but it doesn't bother me at all . If cold turkey is too much for you ,ask the doctors to help you with tapering maybe ? I hope you can also come off them and wish you the best of luck .any questions or doubts we are here for you xx

1 reply

replying to Dadict

I do agree with you,and I have found myself in this position by default.I asked my GP for stronger pain relief(Just had a knee replacement) and he gave me Tramadol in place of the Dihydrocodeine I had been using.I have had no tapering of the codeine. I am just hoping with all my might that the Tramadol will take care of the withdrawal from the codeine.If/when I am over this enforced cold turkey I shall then be tapering the Tramadol.

I have tried to quit the Dihydrocodeine many times and have failed miserably so hopefully the Tramadol will help me manage the dreadful withdrawal from the codeine.I must admit I am terrified right now,as past exoerience tells me that the withdrwal is dreadful.

Thankyou for your kind words of support.

replying to DottyLotty

Don't be scared Dotty .At the moment you need the painkillers as you've had a major op. Few months ago my partner has asked to change codeine to tramadol (he's awaiting knee replacement and currently in a lot of pain) .He only got 70 tablets which lasted him couple of weeks . The only withdrawals he had was a bit of runny nose and diarrhoea..but it was nowhere near what you'd get coming off cold turkey .You will be absolutely fine .it won't affect you mentally and you shouldn't have any cravings because you're still taking other opioid. When you are ready to reduce tramadol just do it slowly .I'm here if you need to chat .Stay strong .Wishing you speedy recovery 😊

Please abide by our forum guidlines.

This forum uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

We use optional analytics cookies to help us improve our site by collecting and reporting anonymous information on how you use it.