: Share Your Story

Discuss what it's really like with your peers

3 replies

Starting to detox any advice?

I've been taking large amounts of codeine for years, other counter and also prescription meds such as tramadol and Ixprim. I was on holiday a month ago and forgot my supply, I had a horrendous few days, flu like symptoms, depression, cramps and severs diarrhoea. I arrived home and I've been taking large quantities since. I've tried tapering many times, I've tried cold turkey, I need to stop. What's the best method, cold turkey or tapering?

1 reply

replying to Nina30

Hi Nina, I can only give you my opinion from my own experience but it really is personal choice! I just can’t taper.. if I have them, I take them so cold turkey is the only way I can do it! It is awful but the withdrawals are over so much quicker than when you taper. I’m in the same boat as you and really need to stop before I do serious damage (if I haven’t already) I can’t live with constant stomach ache anymore! I really do wish you all the very best and hope you can find the determination to quit, that I seem to be lacking! Keep us updated on what you decide to do.. maybe we can bite the bullet together x

replying to Addiction2205

Thanks for the reply, I only have low dose codeine left now, used my last tramadol yesterday. Feel headaches and shivery already ???? I'm just dreading the next few days, but I have to stop. I'm in AA for alcohol dependence, but giving up codeine is so so much more difficult than putting down the bottle. I have a days supply of solpadeine left, and I'm done then. So it's going to be a tough weekend. It's not that you lack determination, you're an addict like so many of us. Good luck to you too x

1 reply

replying to Nina30

Hi Nina, yes being an addict is a cruel and punishingly painful disease!! I would not wish upon my worst enemy.. that said, we are still in control of what we put into our bodies and I sure as hell DO NOT want this drug to control me anymore! I’m determined to take back control of my life, starting from today! I have taken my last dose about an hour ago, and will not have any more today or tomorrow. I’m going to do it 2 days a time and stick to it. My plan is to not have any at all, this weekend.. so here goes!good luck to you too and I’ll keep you posted xx

replying to Addiction2205

That's fantastic you've made the decision. I'm going to give it my best shot over the weekend, I'm prepared for the withdrawals. Hopefully ????

1 reply

replying to Nina30

I am also going cold Turkey over the weekend. I had my last tablets yesterday and I can feel as though I need more now but I'm gonna keep busy and try mind over matter. I'm at work all weekend and I'm taking no money to work with me so I cant go and get any on my breaks. Hopefully I will make it through.

Good luck you two

1 reply

replying to Danaddict

Difficult to do at work if withdrawal is painful and you feel unwell. Last time I did it i felt so so sick. But it's definetely better than the situation we're in at the moment. Best of luck. Keep us updated on hit progress.

1 reply

replying to Nina30

I know I'm going to suffer but I cant keep taking these tablets and making myself ill. I had a health scare last year and I was in hospital for a week. I looked like I was on death's door and I went that week without any codeine and I didnt suffer. When I came home though, it was one of the first things I did, straight to the chemist. I'm so determined this time round, for my family and for my marriage. I dont want to let the woman who loves me down anymore by taking these vile little tablets!!

replying to Danaddict

It's just a horrible way to live. I really do wish these medications were all under prescription only. You seem so determined, and it's given me a wee boost too.

Access to this forum has been temporarily disabled for all users. If you are looking for immediate support, you can call the Samaritans on 116 123.

We have temporarily closed this forum for maintenance and review.

Adfam exists to provide support for, and improve the lives of, families affected by substance use, and we have found that in recent months the balance of posts has shifted to focus on users’ personal issues with substances and addiction. While we recognise that these are issues that deserve support, the high volume of posts had become unmanageable for our small team, and was preventing us from facilitating support for families. We have closed the forum to re-evaluate, and we will be re-launching as soon as possible with a renewed focus on family support. From that point on, we will not be facilitating any conversation regarding individuals’ own substance use.

If you are looking for support for your own substance use, there are other community-based forums online, such as at www.reddit.com/r/drugs and www.reddit.com/r/alcohol.

If you are affected by a loved one’s drug or alcohol use, and you are looking for support, you can find local services and recommended helplines on our Search for local support page.

If you have any queries, comments, or suggestions for our relaunched forum please do get in touch: forum@admin.org.uk