: Drugs, alcohol and mental health

Discuss the twin challenges of mental health and substance use

1 reply

Recovery and Codeine

Hi new here to the forum and so glad I found it.

I have been in recovery since 2013 nearly 8 years sober from cocaine and alcohol.

I started taking codeine due to a health issue for pain but after becoming brutally honest with myself, I am taking them when I am not necessarily in pain, taking them to change the way I feel. I have been taking them for the last 12 months. I have never taken more than prescribed ever and have only taken x2 every four hours as prescribed.

It feels good to share this. I wish with all my heart I was not an addict, it’s something I absolutely hate about myself, I always feel separate and apart from friends and family etc the fact that I am different.

With regards to the codeine, I have managed to taper down to two 30mg tablets a day for the last two days,

which I will then taper down further.

I am looking forward to meeting other people in the same position. Sometimes its lonely knowing your an addict when your surrounded by “normal” people.

Thanks for letting me share.

replying to LittleElf

Hi,

Just thought I would see how you're getting on?

I am currently on day 7 of going cold turkey..no tapering or anything.

I was taking around 20-30 tablets of zapain a day (30mg / 500mg) for the last 5 years.

My mind is starting to feel like the old me again, I didn't find the the withdrawal to bad. I hope you have managed to escape this awful drug

Please abide by our forum guidlines.

This forum uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

We use optional analytics cookies to help us improve our site by collecting and reporting anonymous information on how you use it.