Adfam's new research with YouGov (pdf) has found that almost one in three adults in Great Britain have been negatively affected by the substance use of someone we know.
In response to this Adfam has launched a manifesto for 2020 (pdf), outlining five ways the next government can improve support for families affected by drugs or alcohol.
Our five asks are:
- Make funding available for every Local Authority to provide dedicated support services for those affected by a loved one’s substance misuse
- Ensure financial and practical support for family members who care for children affected by substance misuse
- Ring-fence money for children’s social care services to identify children affected by parental substance misuse, and to provide support to ensure they are given the opportunities to recover and thrive.
- Provide funding to start a national conversation to improve public understanding of the impact of substance misuse on others and to tackle stigmatising attitudes.
- An inquiry should be launched by the Health and Social Care Select Committee into the relationship between substance misuse, mental ill-health, and poverty in families, with recommendations on how to prevent these negative impacts of substance use on families.
Adfam will be working with Parliamentarians over the coming year to make the case for these asks to be implemented.
Download: One in Three: Adfam's Manifesto for 2020 and beyond (pdf).