Alcohol addiction

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      gregory
      Participant

My partner has an alcohol addiction. He has recently accepted this and is trying to cut down the amount of alcohol he has. He began to accept that he might have to get to the point where he never drinks. However when I mention to this to him again, he backtracks and says he can still have drinks socially.

Currently whilst he is trying to cut down, he is short tempered and says horrible things. It’s so hard to live with. How long does this go on for? I guess it is part of the withdrawal process? Has anyone managed to stop drinking completely on their own and without any other support?

lozza
      Participant

My husband is a recovering alcoholic. It took a very long time for him to accept that he had a problem but he got there eventually. He ended up going to rehab and it’s coming up to 4 years that he’s been sober. Prior to rehab he made many attempts to ‘cut down’ and even tried going cold turkey against the medical advice. Each attempt failed, he always returned to alcohol. There were different triggers, good news, bad news. He would either celebrate with a drink or drown his sorrows. He eventually accepted that he needed to get help and went to rehab. He often used to say he’d never completely stop, he’d just have an occasional drink. The turning point was the hospital telling him that one drink would be enough to kill him. That was enough to get him into rehab and completely sober. I guess everyone is different, what works for one won’t necessarily work for another. Best of luck to you and your husband. It’s not easy to live with for either party

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE