Alcoholic dad

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      throwaway1212
      Participant

I am 24 and live with my parents, siblings have moved out so it’s basically on me.

Short story…My dad has been a heavy drinker most of his life. Only the past few years has it become a problem because he has slight brain damage and cannot handle his drink at all, he becomes very vulnerable once he’s had a drink.

The past few years he’s had regular GP appointments, had key workers, psychologists, detox/rehab, hundreds of hours of voluntary work helping others in his situation, been told he will have alcoholic dementia if he continues to drink….yet he still does.

He sometimes will go a few weeks without drinking, telling us he’s going to quit then suddenly it starts all over again.

I’ve tried countless things but I’m not sure what to do in certain situations. He will drink in the home, but do I take his alcohol away from him? When I do this he gets agitated and will go missing for the night (He never gets violent just emotional). It seems something from his past is bothering him and he doesn’t like his life. But I don’t know what to do, it just goes around in a constant circle which then causes my mum to be depressed. He’s been an underachiever his whole life and unemployed for over 10 years, but I just want to help him and I don’t know how. I have some savings and offered to pay for therapy but he doesn’t want that. Should I hide the alcohol from him? I don’t know what to do, I work full time and so does my mum but she is has completely lost her patience having dealt with it a long time…slowly depressing her.

hox-26
      Participant

My sister is an alcoholic.

She would hide alcohol in the house, if her husband found it and got rid of it she would get more and be more secretive.

After years of physical and verbal abuse he made her leave the marital home. This was the turning point. I made her go to AA and she finally accepted she is an alcoholic. She is a lot better, but has not given up completely.

It has made her husband depressed, her son clingy and my sister and myself anxious. It is an awful addiction and I don’t understand it myself. Nothing works unless they want to get sober themselves I’m afraid.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE