Alcoholic Dad, Unsure on so much.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      smithy92
      Participant

Hi All, I do unfortunately have an alcoholic Dad, who after 6 years of heavy drinking (following years of gradual increases in intensity) is still unable to accept he has a problem, and has become fully dependant on drinking litres of Vodka on a daily basis.

He was always a proud man, working hard to get the best for me and my sister, with the struggles to maintain a life so different to his own upbringing, clearly having drastic impacts on his mental well-being. Unfortunately following retirement and since then the COVID lockdowns, his drinking spiralled to where it is today. Throughout the steep ramp up following retirement he exhausted all medical help out there, unfortunately had a bad experience at rehab, and despite multiple hospital visits from hurting himself accidentally, he is still unable to accept the help he badly desires.

At this point in his life, he has ulcers and has given him gastritis, somehow (somewhat of a miracle) is yet to reach liver hepatitis (but cannot be far away now) and his brain and body as a whole are weakening on a daily basis with early wet brain signs begining to show. His personal hygiene, pride, social isntincts, want to eat and drink water on a regular basis, are all now nonexistent, with all being replaced by anger, confusion, sleep, upset, and pain.

Through the unfortunateness of his unwillingness to help us to help him, as a family were left with so many questions on his health that we simply don’t know the answer to.

Fortunately our story has not ended, and we all have hope that he will wake up one day and have a change of heart, but given past occurances we are unfortunately preparing for the worst.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE