Alcoholic husband. Living hell.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      np92
      Participant

Hi,

I’ve never been on a forum before but I could really do with someone in a similar situation to talk to.

I’ve been with my husband nearly 13 years. Married 6. 2 children 5 & 6 . My husband has always enjoyed a drink after work. But the last year he’s quit his job, been in hospital after having seizures, lost 2.5 stone in weight and its been a living hell. There’s been domestic abuse at his worst times, mainly emotional. He can no longer contribute towards to mortgage, bills or shopping and me and his family get constant messages from people saying he’s asking to lend money. He probably owes over £500 to friends. Our sky package has been cut off and he’s gets letter after letter about missed payments on his own debts.

Since his last seizure last week I really thought things were going to be better. He started to help around the house and cut down his drinking from 70cl vodka a day to a couple of cans of cider. But unfortunately the vodka bottles keep appearing and I feel like I’m in a constant game of hide and seek trying to find where they’re hidden. I feel like it’s never going to end and I really just want a happy life for me and our children but I’m worried to leave because I don’t have anything except the 4 walls around me and I don’t want to walk away and get my house repossessed. But I also know I can’t stay living like this forever. A functioning alcoholic for around 8 years and now full blown morning until night. If anyone has been in this situation or similar, I would love you to reach out and give me some advice.

careaboutyou
      Participant

Dear You,

So sorry for you, really so so sorry. My late husband was an alcoholic, I had to take my son and flee the family home after 5 years of trying to help him.

The only solution to this is to leave, you can’t be destroyed with him. I know it’s worrying, but it will be much better than the situation that you’re in. He is an adult and must be responsible for himself. You have to think of yourself, your own mental health and that in order to look after your children, you must be ok. Think of the children ( he is not! ) and leave this situation.

Drinking in the morning, is advanced stages of alcoholism, this could never be classed as normal. The longer you stay, the longer it’s affecting your children. I hope that you find the strength to get out!! Now!!

Wishing you all the best and luck for the future. xxx

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE