Am I the Crazy one

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      tired71
      Participant

My husband of 30 years is an alcoholic. He always was a drinker and in 2003 he began drinking to extreme. This time was horrible as he worked away from home and when he did come home, he spent that time in the bar. With two kids, I was angry and bitter that I was alone and the money was foolishly spent. This period ended with a year long affair in 2004. He stopped drinking and we stayed together.

Fast forward a few years, the cycle starts again, so much so when he moved for a job in 2015 I almost stayed behind and left him. I did move also, we bought a house, things seemed good, but he still drank. Some nights so much his speech would be slurring and he wouldn’t remember anything we talked about. I asked him to stop, I said I would leave and I retreated into a safe place to protect myself, always thinking I should get out.

In 2019 I finally started getting counseling for myself and taking meds, He continued drinking I continued asking him to get help.

This weekend I found out he started seeing someone else in January. As we talked tonight he said he enjoyed talking to someone who wasn’t sad or bitter. Someone who cared and wasn’t always angry, who doesn’t lash out to show everyone their true colors, but what really pisses me off is the fact he chose not drink for two nights because she has always been with douche bags who did. I am hurt and feel like I must be crazy, because he never loved me enough to try and stop. My bitterness and anger has only come from living with him for so long, from forgotten conversations, times spent watching him drink to extreme and from feeling not good enough of a person for him to stop for! So Please help… Is it me? Am I the Crazy one?

icarus-trust
      Participant

Hi,

I’m really sorry to read what you are going through. this must be so very tough for you to cope with. If you think it would help to talk with someone who would understand please contact us at Icarus Trust. we are a charity that offers support to people dealing with addiction in their family as we know how difficult this is.

We have trained and experienced Family Friends who would listen and help you find a way ahead if you contact us.

You can contact Icarus Trust on help@icarustrust.org or visit our website http://www.icarustrust.org

All the best to you.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE