Anxiety over partners addiction

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      georgia26
      Participant

my husband is a ‘recovering’ addict, he was never a daily drinker/drug taker, he did it occasionally but could never say no, he had an issue, he has seeked some help and is going to support groups etc but he does tend to relapse every 4 ish weeks.

It is a living nightmare for me, as I am ready to start a family and settle down, but his addictive personality worries me a lot. I have found myself being so anxious every time he leaves the house even.

I wish I could just calm down about it all, but I feel like my life and future could be at risk because of this, I love him so much and I want to support him. I just need to know how to deal with this? without getting mad at him…

The thing is, I worry even more as my mum was an addict and it ruined her life and my dads, so I have seen it first hand, which causes me even worse anxieties.

Would I benefit from some counselling?

icarus-trust
      Participant

Hi Georgia,

Thank you for sharing your story I’m sorry that you are going through the same anxieties with your husband that your dad must have done with your mum. That must be so difficult for you.

Your husband is going to support groups and maybe talking through how you are feeling might help you. I work for a charity called The Icarus Trust that provides support for people who are dealing with the addictive behaviours of a family member. If you get in touch you could speak with one of our experienced trained people which might help you to make sense of what is happening and find a way forward.

You can contact us on help@icarustrust.org or visit the website http://www.icarustrust.org

Good luck. I hope you can find some help.

hox
      Participant

I wish my husband was the man I married. He could say no to the drink and cocaine at not bother with it. He never craved going out and I was never worried or anxious when he did. I always knew he’d be back and would look after the others that were using and drinking making sure they got home.

Now over the last six to seven months I’m always anxious. When he goes out, when he stays in, when I go to work, when I leave the house and go to the shop.

I can’t support my husband because he genuinely feels he hasn’t got a problem. If he did I would be there to support him through thick and thin. His cousin is on the coke all day and everyday. He talks about him saying he doesn’t know why he does it. But he does more than enough o be considered an addict himself.

We wanted a family but it’s probably best now that we couldn’t. I’m anxious now, but imagine if we had had children. It’s bad enough the way he treats me. I go from loving him to hating him for what he’s doing to us.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE