Brother addicted to xanax and alcohol

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      ber1989
      Participant

Hello. I have joined this group because i dont know how to help my brother anymore. Very long story. He suffers with very bad anxiety,and he’s addicted to xanax, and other anxiety pills. A year ago he almost died, he took alot of xanax and eventually drank antifreeze which almost killed him.. So nearly a year has passed and a week ago i found xanax in his room, on the floor and also in his pocket.he takes powder which i t know is called sportpoeders.. hes also taking Pregabalin, which hes said is for withdrawals. Please help.. I know pregabalin can help with withdrawals but not not when you take them with xanax, alcohol and sport poeder

bt1978
      Participant

Hey Ber

Can I ask are you from the UK? Reason being that if you are, xanax here is likely to be fake and therefore some other benzo, whereas in the US I know its prescribed.

I know from my own experience that what he is taking is a lethal combination, a quick Google search will reveal that. Additionally sportpoeder seems to be phenibut, which works a bit like alcohol I think, I haven’t a great deal of experience with this aside from taking it once a few years ago.

Anyhow, what would help is how much is he drinking and taking xanax?

The combination is dangerous, and it can also be dangerous to suddenly stop without supervision so need to be super careful with the approach here

ber1989
      Participant

Im from Ireland. He orders the tablets from the Internet..yes ive checked it on Google and ive told him that ive read its dangerous. He just makes excuses saying its ok in small doses. But hes not taking small doses, that’s obvious..so he says he takes one xanax a day.he doesn’t drink everyday, but when he does, normally every two weeks, he drinks for two days..hes drunk after 3 drinks obviously because of the tablets..we have asked him if he will go to rehab, he gets angry. Thanks for your reply

ber1989
      Participant

And with the phenibut he was taking small doses. Then he started abusing it, to the point where he was totally out of it. I took it away from him, but he takes it every two days, he says the withdrawals will be bad if he stops cold turkey..its never-ending, its drug after drug. Yesterday he had a job interview, we were so happy for him. He came home so drunk he could hardly walk.

bt1978
      Participant

Thanks Ber

So we can safely say it Is not likely Xanax he is taking (Alprazolam) but some other sedative. There is a huge market for counterfeit drugs if this sort right now. I know as I was abusing them for years and it frightens me to think what I was actually taking.

The drinking sounds like bingeing, this shouldn’t detract from it being viewed as a serious problem.

To begin with a GP should be consulted. He has no idea what he is taking and what affects that is having short and long term. Withdrawal is hard to comment on as we don’t know what he is withdrawing from.

Is he open to help at all?

ber1989
      Participant

We live in a very small village with one doctor, anyway he knows everything. Ive called him a few times but honestly he doesn’t offer help..do you mind me asking how you stopped?. He says the pregabalin is for withdrawals from the sports poeder, as he used to take so much..Hes not open to help, he actually thinks he doesnt have a problem..hes such a lovely person, so kind hearted. I so wish things were different for him, he deserves a good life. Hes only 32.Im so scared he will die

bt1978
      Participant

Ah I see. OK thats not easy but you always have options.

Firstly, using one substance to come off another is usually just kicking the can down the road, at some point it will come to a head, and don’t forget – he is self diagnosing, and self medicating using stuff likely bought from the Web – you see where in going here. It’s a shame about the doctor but you have some online options with the NHS if he is not helping.

I’m terms of not thinking he has a problem – that’s typical of an addict. We were all there at some stage but it’s pure fantasy, along with the notion you can stop when you want to. I’m not surprised, but it makes it harder for him to straighten out as this has to come from within.

Lots of addicts and alcoholics are lovely people… And many don’t fall into the stereotypical view of who they are and what they are like – it’s because there is so much misunderstanding about it these days.

Could I make a suggestion – would you be open to reading or watching some videos on addiction or alcoholism? This isn’t to give him a pass but give you an idea of what you are up against here as knowledge is power in the long run. I worry that if he isn’t admitting an issue then yiu are going to get stuck.

For me personally I had to hit Rick bottom twice to straighten out, once from drink and once from substances. The hell of withdrawal from the latter was like nothing I have ever experienced, it was awful

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE