Cocaine and mental health decline

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      yellowsky
      Participant

Cocaine has left my son with real mental health problems even when he stops taking it the delusions he has are real to him. His grip on reality is becoming less and less he locks himself in the house with all the curtains and blinds shut and says he’s a prisoner in his own home. He has delusions that have taken over his life even when not on cocaine, he says no one believes him and he’s on his own and he turns to more cocaine. He says that he won’t stop taking cocaine until he gets to the source of the person persecuting him. He says his phone call are being listened to so now he can’t contact anybody. These delusions have been going on a long time and getting worse. He won’t get help for drugs, he’s so paranoid. It’s like a viscous circle the mental health is getting worse and so he won’t seek help for drugs. He talks about his inquest and says things like it will all get investigated when I’m gone. Has anyone else had this sort of experience? I need to get him mental health help but don’t know where to start as they might just blame the drugs.

riesena
      Participant

I’m so sorry you have to go through this. The problem is, you’re right, they won’t asses him unless he’s off the drugs. Thats what the GP told me. You might want to try going private, if you can afford it. I think we were quoted about £400 for an assessment, but never went through with it, and I didn’t mention drugs at that point. With my loved one, I think it was the drugs that were making his paranoia worse. But even after being clean for a bit, he still believed everyone thought he was a horrible person. Though this might just be low self esteem now. Your son sounds like a more extreme case. I’m also sorry to say but it sounds like he should go rehab as a starting point. You can’t do this on your own, and if he doesn’t want help then it’s extremely hard to get it. He’d need to be a danger to himself to get into a hospital. Which tbh sounds like this is where he’s heading! I’d try 111 to start with, they might be able to guide you.

Good luck xx

donthaveaclue
      Participant

Hi Yellowsky

Unfortunately I know what you are talking about.

My partner, who is an addict, has managed to bring about the same changes in himself through cocaine, and now crack, usage.

He has extreme paranoia and delusions. He believes people are living in our loft and spying on him. He bangs loudly on the walls and the ceiling with objects… in the process he has destroyed the paintwork in our bedroom. He frequently insists we keep all the windows shut and all the curtains shut and the blind down… so we essentially live in semi darkness.

My addict is very volatile. He thinks people are watching him from cars outside and using drones to spy and listen to what’s going on in the house… so he’s constantly watching CCTV and analysing who is out there. He thinks the neighbours are in on it.

If I don’t act appropriately and go along with it, he gets really aggressive and his fear manifests in volatility. So I have to live like that too.

We share a child and I’m currently waiting to be rehoused. I can’t stand it any longer. I dream of the day I get out. I’m so fed up with it.

I have the same concern and issue as you in that when he doesn’t do the drugs he is as actively paranoid and delusional as when he does them… it’s not as if it goes away. It’s as if that is a permanent change, which is very worrying and sad.

Anyway, my advice is to call 111 and press option 2 to speak to the mental health crisis team when he is actively delusional. Mine has been seen because he has overdosed on prescription drugs. He never mentioned his illegal drug usage. I don’t feel it is my place to mention it myself.

Another option for you is to get in contact with the local drug and alcohol services for advice.

Unfortunately, as you’ve found, if the addict doesn’t want help then you pretty stuck. Mine is not actively engaging with any help. He’s not ready yet. I think when I’ve left he might be as he might hit rock bottom or be might just die… I don’t know.

There are groups for parents and partners of addicts. I’ve just started to seek out help from one of them. A bit like CA but for the families.

xx

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE