Cocaine has wrecked mental health

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      lizzie1210
      Participant

My brother has been battling cocaine addiction for years now and it’s completely wrecked both his physical and mental health, to the point where he has psychosis. I find it really scary – he can completely lose touch with reality and have horrible delusions. He really isolates himself in these episodes, and between that and lockdown I’ve not had much contact with him. On the rare occasions I do hear from him I panic if his name comes up on my phone because I assume it will be an odd message, a request for money or bad news.

Is there anyone who has experienced this with a relative and come out the other side? He’s got a mental health nurse assigned to him, but he refuses treatment and won’t go to appointments, so there’s only so much we can do. It’s hard to tell now how much is the coke and how much is mental health. I don’t know if this is just it now for the long term and he will always be ill, or if he can stay sober and his mind will ‘normalise.’ It’s just a horrible situation and I don’t see it getting better any time soon.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE