Crack Cocaine and accessible rehab plans

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Kali108
      Participant

Hey everyone,

I wondered if there were anyone experiencing a family member that is covering up an (escalating) crack cocaine addiction? My brother is slowly slipping further into his addiction. At first we thought it was cocaine, but a recent discovery by my mum (who he is now living with)  indicates that it is crack cocaine. We are both uneducated in this particular drug arena, and I just want to know what to do for the best. His addiction was caused by usual trauma response and like most, he is an amazing person and devoted father to his two beautiful boys. But over the past year it feels like he is slipping away. I have tried to support him into therapy/ Dr’s appointments / Mental health support and groups etc, but admittedly we are unable to put him through rehab privately as we (my mum and I) do not have the finances to access this level of care. He tries so hard to do well and show up, and has the kindest heart. But his trauma is just too bigger dragon to fight at times and since lockdown his mental health has really suffered.

My questions are:

– Does anyone have experience in supporting this type of addiction/ what do we need to know?

– What should I be doing to support my poor mum? Her health has deteriorated with worry and her nervous system is causing long term health effects (We are based in East Sussex ) I am so worried my brothers’s addiction is going to kill her (she has a a pituitary tumor)

– Has  anyone got any advice on accessing rehab with a subsidised payment plan/ charity support? I heard private health care may be an accessible route?

Thank you in advance x

LiilleSunshine
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>My son has been addicted to crack for 10 years now and I’ve seen it all.</p>
      Firstly you need to get him away from your mum as he will completely destroy her. He will manipulate and bully her with his lies and cover ups and she will think it’s all her fault and he will make her believe that. He will take everything she owns and sell it to pay for crack no matter how much you think he wouldn’t do such a terrible thing… He will!

Does he want to stop? Will he go to CA meetings? They are amazing and there is so much support but he has to want to do it. That would be your first step to get him to a meeting

LiilleSunshine
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: right;”>My son has been addicted to crack for 10 years now and I’ve seen it all.</p>
      Firstly you need to get him away from your mum as he will completely destroy her. He will manipulate and bully her with his lies and cover ups and she will think it’s all her fault and he will make her believe that. He will take everything she owns and sell it to pay for crack no matter how much you think he wouldn’t do such a terrible thing… He will!

Does he want to stop? Will he go to CA meetings? They are amazing and there is so much support but he has to want to do it. That would be your first step to get him to a meeting

chrisandandy
      Participant

He will not get better without professional help, and may not even with it.  Why is he living with your mom? Is he broke? That’s a sign.  Lying, manipulating stealing, missing work, personality changes, secretiveness,  stories don’t add up.  Trust your gut and get him out of your moms house.  I’ve tried for 20 years to help my sister: 3 interventions, treatment, I helped her through school and helped her get a good job.  She was supposedly clean for the last 3 years. Then last month she hose sat for me for a month while I was on vacation.  She robbed me blind.  He has to want help.

chrisandandy
      Participant

And even if he wants help, it will be hell.  Crack cocaine is one of the most addictive drugs and hard to recover from.

sherry
      Participant

My daughter has been using crack and heroin for over twenty years and I can tell you, you need to protect your mother. I have paid for rehab which cost £5000 for two weeks. I dont care about the money but my daughter walked out after 5 days. My life has been hell trying to help her and I feel I have lost myself in that I never feel truly happy anymore.
      She has been homeless for a long time as I cannot have her living with me, as her lifestyle is too chaotic and the drug is the most important thing in her life. All my daughter’s lying, stealing and the people she hangs round with are all things I find hard to deal with and don’t want to be a part of my life. She is very manipulative and makes me feel bad when I don’t give her money but I know she only wants the money for the drugs.
      When she came out of prison last year they found her a room and it is paid for by benefit and to be honest, it was very reassuring to know she had a place to live and help was available for vulnerable people.
      I thought this was the turning point for her to get her live back together but it has all started up again and I can see her losing everything but I am helpless to prevent that.
      I am drained, I have had enough and this drug addition has destroyed me.

LiilleSunshine
      Participant

Hi

I have been to many meetings with my son and there are those that have stopped taking crack and now sponsor others.

Would your family members agree to going to a meeting?

There is no medications for cocaine/crack as the withdrawal is psychological and not physical. Someone once likened it to ‘doing it against your will’ and I do believe this

However the meetings don’t work for everyone and for some it can take years of going to them before the addict let’s it all sink in and tries hard/harder to stop

My son has been going on and off for a year and since December seems to have been on a continual bender  so they’re clearly not working for him yet

We are all in the same boat and I pray for all of us going through the hell of someone else’s addiction

At rhe moment I live because I have a dog that needs looking after. Most days I just want to jump in front of a train or lorry and make it all go away

Take care xx

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE