Dad is an alcoholic

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      hourofthebees
      Participant

My dad is an alcoholic and has pretty much given up. He has been a drinker since I can remember and it has escalated since the start of Covid. I’m struggling to come to terms with this, I’m angry and sad at the same time. I’m angry that he has chosen this toxic substance over his family and I’m sad that he will most likely not be involved with my kids (if I have them). I feel guilty because I clam up when I’m around him, I don’t know how to act and I don’t want to be around him. I sometimes think it would be easier if I cut him out because I think about this everyday at some point. I’m not sure what I want from posting this but I guess it feels good to let it out.

constantlyworried
      Participant

So sorry that you have to go through this. Have you tried talking to your dad when he is sober? You could tell him exactly how you are feeling and ask him if he will get help as you need a dad and want him to be a grandad to your children one day. Drugs and alcohol ruin the life of so many people. It sounds like you have your head screwed on and will not be following in your dads footsteps so that is something to be thankful for. Hope you are able to talk to him and he may think about your words and take some action.

hourofthebees
        Participant

Morning, thank you so much for your kind words! Unfortunately we have (theres 4 of us) all tried and he has detoxed previously but relapsed which I know is common, he is in his mid 70s now and I don’t think he wants to stop. But I think you’re right, I need to just tell him how I’m really feeling otherwise I’ll regret it. Oh for sure, I’m so grateful that this has turned me off alcohol instead of abusing it. Thanks again for your advice, hope you have a lovely weekend

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE