Dealing with a dependant single mother who is an alcoholic

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      lilysarah145
      Participant

Hey there,

I’ve just come across this site and the sense of relief it has given me to realise I’m not alone.

My mum is a single mum in her 50’s and she has been a alcoholic for the majority of my life. But in the past 8 years it has been at its worst and our relationship has turned to where I’m the mother and she’s the child.

I don’t have a relationship with her when she’s intoxicated, only sober but those moments are few and far between.

She doesn’t drive and because she’s a single parent I contribute a lot to her finances. But her situation with alcohol is making it very hard to be in a house with her. I don’t have a home, my safe place is only my bedroom and that space isn’t respected.

I’ve worked hard professionally and I’ve got to a position where I can move out with my boyfriend. My mum is currently going through tests and tried to get help but it isn’t working. It’s resulted to a point where it seems she’s got a personal vendetta out against me. She fabricates stories to make me out to be a bad person or that I’ve done wrong.

I want and need to move out but I’m worried if I tell her the worst is going to happen. Has anyone got any advice?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE