Do relationships change if you started dating during partners addiction?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      goldenxo10
      Participant

I know the dynamic will change but I just want to know if anyone has been through a similar situation. My partner has gone to rehab for severe alcoholism. He was already pretty deep into it when we met, started talking, and dating. We proceeded anyways.

I know things will change. But I am so frightened for how much. I’m worried he won’t like me. I’m worried he will associate me with his addiction and not want me to be part of his life. I’ve never seen him genuinely clean and sober before, but I have done my best to be supportive and present. We’ve had a lot of good times, but there is some sort of trauma bond there for sure. I’m kind of worried he doesn’t/won’t remember the good times.

I don’t know what to do. It makes me break down. I haven’t spoken to him in a week and that makes me even more anxious– that probably has to do with the codependency we established. I don’t know how to climb up from this hole, I want to prepare myself for the worst but I don’t want to let go.

Has anyone ever had a relationship where they date someone who is in the height of their addiction and sought out help and it worked after? Or do I let all of this go and take this time to grieve the relationship before it ends? I feel so overwhelmed, I am so happy that he’s finally getting the help he needs so I encouraged him the entire time he started to contemplate going. But, there’s a selfish part of me that is going to miss the times we had before. I will never enable him or try to  bring him back to the dark place of alcoholism. And if he allows me, I’ll be here to support him for however long. But, I hope you understand where I’m coming from. I just don’t know how to cope with the anxieties I have.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE