Drug dependant Brother

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      nl89
      Participant

Hey,

My brother (26) was a kind, caring, sweet, successful guy. 4 years ago he started smoking weed.

I know a lot of weed smokers but he reacted differently.

Fast forward to today and his life consists of waking up, rolling a joint, smoking, rolling a joint, smoking, rolling, smoke, roll (you get the pattern)…..and then sleep.

He sometimes laughs hysterically alone, sometimes he gets angry. He hasn’t left the house in weeks! He says it’s his passion and we should support him. I feel it is self medicated in order to mask something deeper. He has lost any emotion at all. We lost our grandmother who we were very close with and he didn’t bat an eyelid!

He doesn’t have a job anymore (got fired). He doesn’t cook, clean, do anything. I know everyone feels this way but we really weren’t brought up badly! We were privileged compared to many.

It’s a lonely place to be…feeling helpless and just sitting back and watching.

The main advice received is we can’t do anything at all.

I understand but I also cant throw my hands up and sit back watching someone waste their life, when some people don’t have a choice!!!

We are a very open family. Always speaking about problems we have and there is always an open platform of free speech with no judgment.

Does anyone have a happy ending to a similar story or any advice?

I am in therapy myself learning to observe and not absorb, and also to realise Im on my own path….but I can’t brush the urge to shake him.

Thanks for reading this far and for taking your time to help

N x

Participant

It’s so hard to watch I do it with my son and no one knows unless it’s happening to them I feel helpless but all I can do is be there when he comes to me which he does and I’m sure your brother needs to know u there. I’m glad u learning to cope in the best way that will help u we need help to deal with it. U obviously care and that’s not a bad thing

aplus
      Participant

You can do lot of things

1- learn more about addiction

2-Try to be with him and listen to him

3- create a support team from family and friend

4- look after yourself

You with help of other can help him to overcome his addiction. Educating yourself is best you can do for your brother and also for yourself

so many people have done it you can do it too

best luck

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE