Dying abroad

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      arlene
      Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum and just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation. My brother is an alcoholic and lives in Holland..For this last few years I’ve known his health has been deteriorating badly..I’ve constantly asked him over the years to set up an account so we can bring his body home when he dies..He had a considerable sum of money a few years ago and was receiving a wage, so I assumed he could afford to put some by as the cost of repatriation is huge and felt it was his responsibility to prepare for this..However, nothing was ever done and he continually ignored the subject..To cut a long story short, I’ve now been told hes very I’ll and has been admitted to hospital..He was told a couple of years back he needed B12 injections as his balance had gone but later found out he told a friend he wasn’t taking them as he couldn’t drink.He drinks from dawn to dusk every day,his memory has gone,his eyesight is terrible,he barely eats and is bone thin and his hygiene is bad.

This has worried me for years and now I think hes not far from death.I have no idea what to do if he dies.He insists he wants his body to be brought home to the UK but has obviously given no thought to the distress he is causing and has caused..I go from so angry and frustrated to so sad to watch him just throw his life away..I don’t have the funds to get him home never mind bury him.

Was wondering if anyone has gone through this and could give me some advice please.

Thank you

icarus-trust
      Participant

Hi Arlene,

This must be so distressing for you. I work for The Icarus Trust, a charity that supports the families and friends of addicts. If you get in touch with us, one of our trained and experienced people may be able to help and answer some of your questions.

You can contact The Icarus Trust on help@icarustrust.org or visit our website http://www.icarustrust.org

I hope this is useful.

Good luck.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE