Functioning Alcoholic

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 year ago by gogo1978.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      gogo1978
      Participant

My relationship with my partner of 15 years collapsed after years of alcohol misuse (his) and me trying to fill in all the gaps his alcoholism left to keep our family going.
      He is in denial and even after our couples therapist attempting to address his alcohol misuse, he continues to drink- although attempted informal support and has 2 days per week abstinent whereas before he drank every night as soon as the children went to bed.  They have never seen him drunk- but I have, every night for 15 years.
      Our intimate relationship came to and end after him being unable to forgive a brief affair I had due to feeling alone, however, will not accept our relationship was ruined after being betrayed by his alcohol abuse.
      We are continuing to parent together and live in the same house. I care about him and about him being able to be a dad. Our children have no idea about any of this. I am exhausted and wonder if I am kidding myself to think this situation is sustainable. I care very much for him but hate that alcohol has destroyed everything between us and he won’t see it or stop.  I am the bad person who has ruined everything. Can functioning alcoholics stay functioning and for how long?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE