Health Advice – Alcohol

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      regdavmab
      Participant

Hi everyone. My partner is 41 and has always been a ‘functioning alcoholic’ for years which no one paid attention to, but last Spring/Summer he went up to almost a litre of vodka a day, 40 units. Within a few months he became so ill my parents had to pay for private rehab which I’m still paying back as he refused hospital because they couldn’t help him for more than 24 hours. He was yellow, couldn’t walk, almost delirious, couldn’t speak, wasn’t coherent and couldn’t hold anything. He nearly died and I believe had alcohol hepatitis but this was never confirmed with me by the staff. It shocked me because his tolerance had always been so high, just couldn’t work it out. And his liver scan only showed fattiness in the September when he came out after a 2 week stay, he then had severe gastro problems; nausea, vomiting, nerve damage, diarrhoea, weakness etc. He went back to drinking a month or so later and these problems have got worse. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t believe he has a problem. He drinks between 13 and 20 units a day which is obviously much less than last year but still not good. He has had a pancreas CT scan, liver scan and endoscopy. All have come back clear except for a fatty liver again. We are waiting for the biopsy from the endoscopy. The strange thing to me is no inflammation was found, wouldn’t this be factor if someone is damaging themselves with alcohol? My question is (and I know no one can offer medical advice), is this definitely from alcohol? Stupid question perhaps. He had bloods and his ferritin is nearly 3000! I just wish someone would tell him that the way he’s feeling is alcohol and not some suspicious unrelated gastro illness…unless it is but that’s highly unlikely. He has no quality of life. As I said since he came home from 2 weeks in rehab last year he has been like this. He’s always sick, feels sick, has diarrhoea, feels weak, his lips are split, and this is every single day amongst other things, he has lots of muscle wastage (nerves are now fine and no yellowing of eyes/skin) and doesn’t even venture outside. On top of it I’m the only one working because of it and 3 months pregnant with our planned baby! Without being crude I’m not even sure how that happened as he’s been so unwell. So what should be an exciting time is anything but. And part of me can’t believe the selfishness. I thought after rehab everything would be great and I was so wrong. If it is alcohol I wish a test other than high LFTs would be able to physically show something so he might accept it. I was banking on the endoscopy showing inflammation and the nurse telling him, but no. He burps constantly after any liquid and struggles with a big meal. He wakes up at 4am and drinks almost a 35cl bottle to go back to sleep, then he’ll have few drinks during the day. So a 35cl bottle and a half at the most. But his health is getting worse. This morning he woke up burping and retching after not having a drink for 8 hours which is confusing. Thank you for reading, I so know I’m much luckier than some

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE