Help for my brother

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      caztini
      Participant

Hi, my brother (42) has develeoped an addiction to alcohol. This has been building up over a number of years, since our mum passed 3 years ago he won’t discuss anything with his family. He’s isolating himself from everyone, and recently he quit his job. He spends most of his time in the day drinking and getting out of his mind. No one in our family can seem to get through to him. As he’s currently living with me at the moment he sometimes disappears for days on end and I have no idea where he is. I’m scared I’m going to loose him. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to help him? I’ve tried encouraging him to seek professional help but he doesn’t want to know.

icarus-trust
      Participant

Hi Caztini,

Thanks for posting. I’m sorry to read how worried you are about your brother’s alcohol addiction. It must be scary not to know where he is.

Sadly things won’t change for him until he wants to seek professional help for himself but you might want to access some support for yourself.

I work for a charity called The Icarus Trust which offers support to people going through what you are at the moment, having to deal with the addiction of a close family member. We know how hard it is so we have a team of people available that you could talk with. They will listen and hopefully help you to cope, as well giving advice about what other help is available.

You can contact us on help@icarustrust.org or visit the website http://www.icarustrust.org

All the best.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE