How to deal with my husbands alcoholism and mental health

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      lissy
      Participant

I am new to this so not sure how it works!

My husband has been drinking pretty much daily for the at least the last six months, he drinks whiskey sometimes more than a bottle a day. He also suffers from depression and anxiety and is going through counselling at the moment.

He says he doesn’t want this life he wants to change but everything I have tried to do to help has failed, I don’t know what to do?

He always lies about it, he has never once told me I have always found the empty bottles. I love him but I cannot live a life where I am lied to, I have to protect myself and our children.

I don’t know how long or if I even should be living like this, its slowly destroying me.

Any help would be massively appreciated, I don’t know anyone else going through this or who have been through this and I feel so alone.

Thank you

stitchlet
      Participant

I wish I had answers for you but it sounds so similar to the situation I’m in and I just don’t know myself.

I can only wish you lots of support and help and if you find the answers, please let me know.

My fiance has been drinking and has the most crippling mental health problems now. But it’s so destructive and the lies are killing our relationship 🙁 what do we do? Xx sending love and strength

doctors-wife
      Participant

Dear Lissy,

You say you can’t live a life where you are being lied to but that is exactly what you’re doing! and even more so you are enabling this man to lie to you, use you and deceive you by not confronting him every time you find a bottle and he lies.

Whatever his backstory- no matter how traumatic and tragic the drink will heighten his anxiety and depression.

Give him an ultimatum – go to AA or the GP and get help for his drinking otherwise choose your path – see my post to that dear girl planning a wedding with an alcoholic fiancé.

You are not alone – you are a strong woman, doing your best and seeking help whilst trying to love your husband in the most difficult of situations. Get yourself some support and look after yourself first, so that his problems don’t totally destroy you both. XX

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE