Husband suffering from alcohol withdrawal psychosis

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      clw99
      Participant

I don’t think there’s much that can be done, but I’m just feeling so low right now. My husband has had a drink problem for a long long time but because he’s been able to have a few weeks or even months after he hits rock bottom, before the cycle starts again he tells himself he’s not an alcoholic. He is getting better in that he drinks more rarely now, but when he does he seems to suffer from what I think (having Google searched) would be called alcohol withdrawal psychosis). He gets very aggressive, talks continuously and says very strange things, he’s paranoid and if I try to calm him down he claims I’m not supporting him and I’m on ‘their side’ (whoever he’s currently against). He also says really nasty things to me. What really upsets me is that he continues like this in front of our kids who are 5 and 3… And I think our son internalises things and gets very upset. I really don’t know what to do. The rest of the time he’s a good dad and husband, but it’s really like living with Dr Jekyll. I recently suffered a miscarriage and I just feel like I can’t take this on top of everything else.

dnanon
      Participant

I feel for you and your family. If your husband doesn’t think he has a problem then I suppose he wouldn’t consider going to AA. However, maybe there is an AA support group that you could go to yourself. Would your husband go to the doctors as it does seem that he has got mental health issues. Have you got anyone else you could talk to i.e. family or friends. You take care . . .

icarus-trust
      Participant

Hello,

I’m sorry to read how low you are feeling about your husband’s drinking. On top of your recent miscarriage you must be going through a very emotionally difficult time.

Help is available for your husband, although he does need to accept he needs help for himself, but there is also help available for you.

I work for a charity called The Icarus trust. We support people like yourself who are living with the impact of a partner’s addiction. We know how difficult that is and so we have specially trained and experienced people who you could talk to.

You can contact us on help@icarustrust.org or visit the website http://www.icarustrust.org

Please take care. All the best.

shaz71
      Participant

Hello i am in the middle of this crisis myself. I have registered with Al-Anon online group just so i can read live emails from others. Please do not be put of with the religious aspect if you are not religious. There are also Al-Anon meetings if you search for your local group. It doesnt solve the problem but it helps you learn how to look after yourself. The non drinker is effected just as much as the drinker. Im sat here now feeling manipulated by his behaviour but im trying to rationalise it.

Withdrawl is evil and causes effects we could not even begin to imagine. If this is not the first attemp at recovery the body can go into whats called the kindling effect.

Im sure you know that you must call emergency services if he starts to have any seizures or if hed has halucinations. Dont tell him though because he will tell you he doesnt need it. They will deal with your Husband with compassion and empathy honest. You will not be troubling them..

Ive only just registered and i felt i had to respond to your post

Thinking about you

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE