I cant be cruel to be kind

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      stillhopeful2019
      Participant

So I have left my husband of 13 years due to his addiction to alcohol coke and weed. Left 7 weeks ago but I miss him terribly. How do I shake that feeling off? I know in order for him to hit rock bottom I need to minimise contact but I jus cant not be in contact with him or see him on occasions. Apart from the addiction, he is a really nice husband and father to our kids but his substance use was starting to impact our finances. I have this overwhelming desire to be with him but know I did right by leaving him, hopefully temporarily until he fixes himself….if he does. He is reluctant to get professional help as he feels he can control it but I have to remind him that he has tried that so many times and within a short time he uses again. Obviously I love him and miss him terribly. Sometimes I feel awful thinking I just abandoned him and should be there to support him but I know I have tried to help him all these years and I realise he has to help himself. Honestly the pain of being without him is worse than when I first left him. I stay focused and remind myself why i did this but then i have weak moments where i start craving him and make contact. My friends and family dont agree with the way I’m handling this and I do agree with them but I cant help it. Any tips?

dfh
      Participant

I’m in the same situation but I am still with him. I did leave and come back but that didn’t work, I caved in. Now it’s still the same although maybe with him using less. I’m raising a baby singlehanded and have 2 older kids.

The only one who will have to make sacrifices will be you. I had to join finances and put trust I don’t have in a person who is only interested in drugs. And the withdrawals are awful. And he is my soul mate so I like you can’t face life without him.

Hope this insight helps, sorry it’s brief as I don’t get much time to type or check in on here.

Sounds like a stick or twist situation and only you can make the decision based on what you want out of it.

stillhopeful2019
      Participant

Hey thanks for responding. My husband tried to cut down but he would slowly build it back up again to a massive binge which would usually end with a massive argument, I have called the police on him a few times as he started to get aggressive, he has never hit me but I was scared it was getting to that point as he seemed out of control. When I think back and remember the bad times, I am glad I left and I realise I need to stay away but when I miss him, I start feeling sad for what we had. I mean i spent 13 years of my life with this man, we have 2 children, our social circle was there, we had a home. But then I quickly stop myself and remind myself of the times when he spent all our money, when he got aggressive, when he broke promises. And then I start feeling angry again. I keep going round and round in circles. Missing him then hating him. I have told him many times he needs professional help, I just hope he finally sees sense and reaches out. I know this cant continue, I need to move on with my life for the sake of myself and my kids. I cry and wish I wasnt going through this, it’s the most difficult thing ever.

dfh
      Participant

That’s my life in a nutshell too. Everything bad is almost forgotten out of desperation to have a normal happy family. It’s normal to feel like that. We didn’t choose this so why should we be the ones to let go. I totally understand how you feel. I try and get on here as much as I can so if you need an ear just let me know. Shame we can’t swap numbers, support each other.

stillhopeful2019
      Participant

Dfh thank u. It certainly helps to know I’m not the only one. The difficulty i guess is the not knowing what is going to happen. I feel lost and sometimes half the person I was, a bit like I have lost a limb. But you’re right, we didnt choose this and I feel for my kids as I never expected they would have to grow up in this kind of environment, least of all they would witness their parents split up. I do hope and pray its not permanent but it isnt looking good at the moment. Anyhow I decided I needed to do this for my children more than myself and I certainly wont be returning. If he wants to join us, he has to prove he has sought help and is no longer an addict. I am so glad I found this forum and plan to use it as much as I can. I am also going to look into al anon meetings, from what I have read, they can really help with trying to make sense of this difficult situation. And thank u, I will definitely take u up on the offer of an ear. Friends and family try to offer their support but they dont really understand what it’s like, not like us so same goes to u, I am happy to be there for u toowhenever u need to vent or share anything. Take care and i wish us both the best outcome whatever that may be x

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE