Just discovered how addicted my husband is to alcohol, how do I help him?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      jwin43
      Participant

I’ve been with my husband for over 20 years. He has always drunk a lot both socially and at home. Now it is affecting his health signficantly. He has liver damage and was hospitalised 4 months ago. He was asked to stop drinking immediately and he told me he had but yesterday admitted he is still drinking hard liquor every day. He explained it is because he had a psychotic episode in hospital (true) when he abruptly stopped drinking and to avoid that he’s going to wean himself off. I can see he believes what he’s saying but I don’t think he’ll be able to do it. Especially as it has already been 4 months and he’s still drinking a large amount. I’m so glad he’s talking to me but I’ve no idea how to help him. He has never been abusive, he’s a kind, gentle man and I love him very much. And I realise this is now a lifelong situation which feels overwhelming. Where do I start?

icarus-trust
      Participant

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your story. I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s drinking and how it’s affecting both of you.

If you would like some help please contact us at Icarus Trust as we are a charity that supports people dealing with addiction in their family. One of our Family Friends who are trained and experienced would talk with you if you get in touch. They are trained and experienced and would help you answer your questions and know what other support is available.

You can contact Icarus Trust on help@icarustrust.org or visit our website http://www.icarustrust.org

All the best.

jwin43
        Participant

Thank you for contacting me, I will call Icarus today.

rigel
      Participant

Sorry for your husbands situation. Abruptly stopping ethanol ingestion can cause serious health problems.. You should better take medical support. Keep posting how you’re doing please!

jwin43
        Participant

Thank you for caring. My husband voluntarily went to hospital yesterday and is undergoing a medically managed detox. An important step which has brought me a little peace. Of course now my worry is how do I support him when he is discharged. I’m also struggling to come to terms with this being a life long illness. That makes me feel very low. I will call Icarus above for ideas.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE