Just found out my dad is in recovery

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      marzi94
      Participant

I was told this past weekend that my dad has been in recovery for a year now and is doing well. The catch is that I had no idea my dad was an addict, what he was using, or how long this has been going on. I was told by a family friend who is his sponsor and I don’t have a good relationship with. I want to approach my dad and let him know I am proud of him and I want to offer support, but I also want some answers. I would like to know how long he was using and if it played into any of the bad memories and traumatic events of my childhood.  He was in and out of my life a lot when I was child, we would go months without seeing him. Sometimes he was super agitated and could be scary. However, I know he probably has been keeping his addiction from me for so long out of embarrassment and I don’t want to do anything that would inhibit his growth and mess with his sobriety. I just want to see if anyone has any similar experience to this and has advice, or anyone in recovery themselves knows how to handle a delicate situation like this. Thank you xx

Lozzy80
      Participant

Hi Marzi..

What a difficult position to be in

Addiction including recovery can be a very personal journey, do you think your dad would have minded his “sponsor” telling you , just feels a bit off this coming from his trusted sponsor and not himself doesn’t it..

Perhaps just reach out without letting him know that you know that peice of info (ask yourself who benefits from letting him know thst you know ..). Take things slow, see if he opens up , gauge where his head is at… Then maybe start to ask the more difficult questions.

Wishing you all the best xx

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE