Letdown…

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      nowhere-to-turn
      Participant

My husband of only 3 months is an alcoholic! He had spent most of last year in & out of hospital, with variceal bleeds, two of which nearly killed him. In February of this year, a shunt was put into his Liver, to prevent further bleeds. Throughout all of this, he never drank any alcohol! Over the past 3 months, his drinking has increased, on a daily basis. Following a week long “bender” I finally convinced him to see our GP, he was prescribed anti depressants, as he says he only drinks when he is feeling low (i don’t believe this to be true) & refused to attend or seek advice from a support group. He can go weeks without a drink but as soon as he has one..it spirals out of control. What I want to do is throw him out…I feel so angry, hurt, let down, after everything we’ve been through he’s still prepared to put his life at risk? But he has nowhere to go, family are all overseast, no money as he’s not working! I really don’t know where to go from here…I can’t sleep, eat, this is tearing me apart but everything seems to revolve around him & what he’s been through! I feel as though I’ve supported him through everything, emotionally, financially, I’m not sure I’ve got anything left to give…& then I read how some of you guys have lived with this for 30 odd years & I feel such a failure…

sad-and-lonely
      Participant

I understand….I am in a similar situation (read my blog, I know what to do….). My husband will not stop drinking, he thinks he can control it but he can’t. I know I have to end my marriage but I feel like I have failed. Also like you, if I kick him out he really has none else to turn to and we’ve no money to support a second home, even a bedsit. Like you, I have read things and been to Al Anon only to hear tales from people that have suffered for years living with an alcoholic. I want hope, I want someone to tell me that there is help out there and that things can work out, but I’m kidding myself, right? I’m new to this and sharing things isn’t easy but I can empathise with you so I hope in some small way this has helped.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE