Living with a functioning alcoholic

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      kelwal75
      Participant

My partner is 40 he has been drinking for about 6 yrs and it has got worse since covid, he started with beer every night but large amounts I expressed concerns and rather than stopping he started to his it moving on to wine and now spirits, some nights he will drink 4 bottles of wine or 2 bottles of spirit. He has tried and failed on many occasions to stop and will hide his drinking very badly as it’s obvious, today for example he was smashed but claimed to just be tired he has now fell asleep with a glass on neat Jack hid behind his back..

This is a daily occurrence he has been aggressive towards me when drunk, pushed me, blocked me from getting passed, smashed plated, punched doors/walls, etc

It’s honestly like living with Jekyll and Hyde! The sober version is loving, caring, generous but the drunk version is just awful I actually hate him! I feel so trapped and alone, most of our friends are mutual friends so I have no one to talk to. His parents are aware but he makes a point of not drinking if we are with them and spouts bull about how he is off the drink!

He has been told he has already got a fatty liver and has had some heart issues, I feel so trapped I have asked him to leave me he says he will go but never does, in the last year he has probably been sober less than 10% year.

How do I get him to leave? I worry that I will trapped with him until he dies. Slow and painful death from alcohol? I feel like I am trapped in a reoccurring nightmare expect this is my reality!

I have tried talking to his mum but she just tells him to stop, she doesn’t realise that it’s not that easy, that’s it’s an illness.. I said I would standby him as long as he shows willingness to get better! But it’s like he has given up he has no interest in stopping.

Sorry for long post ????

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE