Living with an alcoholic mother

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      12goat12
      Participant

My mom has been an alcoholic for as long as I can remember. It has really put such a strain on the relationship she has with me and my siblings. I’m at a point where I feel I must take actions before something seriously bad happens. If/when something bad does happen I know I would blame it on myself because I really have not done enough at this point. I also feel as if I’m stepping on her toes too hard because she’s supposed to be the mom. This weekend has been terrible and she flat out lies to me all the time saying she’s not drunk when she clearly is. I feel helpless because no matter what I say to her it’s as if she does not care. I will bring to her attention how upset I am that she is drunk and 20 minutes later she will be even more drunk. I know alcoholism is a terrible terrible disease and I know that there are awesome programs out there to help her but how do you help a parent that doesn’t even want help? Does anyone have any advice or even just tips for me to cope or better ways to communicate with her about her addiction?

jack0000
      Participant

Honestly I’d ring up some sort of support group, obviously an anonymous one, I grew up in a similar situation and one of my biggest regrets is that I didn’t do it at the time.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE