Lost in the vicious cycle

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      pineapple123
      Participant

When I met my boyfriend I had no idea he took cocaine let alone had an addiction. It started off only now and then and it’s just got worse and worse. He disappears from the house and I don’t hear from him until he strolls in at 6am, he’s been in accidents, he’s lost jobs but nothing seems to make him realise how bad it’s got. It makes me so angry because it’s constant and I try and realise that it’s an illness and I want to support him but how can I help someone who doesn’t help themselves??? Sometimes he’ll feel awful the next day and will give me the talk on how he’s stopping which may happen for a couple of weeks then he will just go straight back to it. A viscous cycle. I just feel like I’m being pushed to the side and cocaine will always come first. Joined the forum this evening because I just can’t go through this on my own anymore

debc
      Participant

Hi Pineapple123, welcome to this really helpful and friendly forum.

I only joined a few weeks ago, it’s so good to be able to talk to people that are in the same situation.

My Son is an addict (alcohol and cocaine), he has been to Rehab twice, and at the moment is doing really well, he has got himself a Sponsor, working the 12 step program for recovery, he does meetings every day through zoom.

For us the people that have to live with it, and have done for 10 years plus, it is hell.

Like you say it is a viscous circle, but only they can change it, if they want too.

There are so many people on here that have far more experience then me with dealing with an addict, but if you read through some of the other stories it gives you an insight into other people’s lives, and how they cope with living or being with an addict.

Take care

Dx

lindyloo
      Participant

Hi all

Welcome to the forum Pineapple

I’ve been reading your post, just to let you know that you’re not alone in this. As Debc says, read the other threads too, you’ll get advice and support from others in the same or similar circumstances.

It is vicious cycle, and its very frustrating, and your emotions will be up and down constantly.

What I will say is, look after yourself first and foremost. Google out some 5min meditations, look into Mindfulness, take pleasure in the little things.

My son has restarted his online and face to face aa and ca meetings. So fingers crossed he won’t lapse again on payday.

Take care

Lx

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE