Married to a recovering alcoholic

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      foxy
      Participant

Hi everyone ,

Just wanted someone to talk to.I’ve been married for 25 years now and my husband started drinking more than usual 19 years ago .The drinking increased alot over the years .Nearly 2 years ago he finally accepted he needed help ,had a detox,relapsed and then last December had another detox.He hasn’t had a drink since December, which is great ,but since March he has had very little support when his recovery groups had to stop meeting because of the virus.He has very bad mood swings and because we have both had to stay home for 10 weeks because I’m shielding it’s been really hard for both of us.Yesterday was awful,from 11 am onwards he was having mood swings which lasted all day.This happens quite often,so I often don’t know what each day will bring.I get overwhelmed and scared what will happen next.He was asked to leave his job as the drinking affected his work,so he is worried about the future and thinks no one will want to offer him a job.The doctor advised he has at least 6 months off before he works again so he can attend lots of different support groups but unfortunately they’re not on for the time being. Anyway,today I found out about post addiction withdrawal symptoms which explains his behaviour but how is anyone else coping with a family member in recovery? What do you do when you feel overwhelmed? I don’t know anyone else in this situation and although I have told a few close friends what’s going on ,they haven’t been through what I’m going through. Has anyone got any advice or encouragement? I felt like running away yesterday!

robb
      Participant

Just checking in to see if you ok, noticed no one had responded to your post.

When things get a bit much at home, I walk the dog, he gives me time alone and is a good listener.

Other times I just go off cleaning the house.

Everyone deals with it differently.

Hope you ok tho.

foxy
      Participant

Thanks for replying ????it just gets overwhelming sometimes .Today was a better day .Not sure how I’d cope if things were bad every day.When things open up again I think I’ll try and find a support group .Thanks for checking I was doing ok

robb
      Participant

Glad your ok.

This pandemic Hasn’t been great on anyone, specially people who are trying to recover and have no help now due to the pandemic.

Set my partner recovery back losing her social worker before this pandemic.

Now she talks to someone via messenger who’s going through the same thing as her.

foxy
      Participant

I was really worried when the pandemic put a stop to all the recovery meetings. His keyworker only rang once and didn’t stay on long as he said he had lots of people to call.The last 2 weeks one of the leaders from one of the recovery groups started a zoom meeting, so at least it’s better than nothing.

Glad your partner is able to talk to someone on messenger.Hope it’s helping her .

I thought they’d have offered some more support online for people struggling.My husband had his second detox in December ,then the centre shut for 3 weeks for Christmas. Then he had about 8 weeks support and then everything shut again because of the pandemic .

Can’t wait for his groups to start meeting again.

icarus-trust
      Participant

Hi Foxy,

I’m sorry to hear about how your husband’s recovery is so stressful for you. I can imagine that it must feel overwhelming, especially in these lock down times.

If you would like to talk to some one who would understand what you are dealing with, and would offer you help please contact us at The Icarus Trust.

We are a charity that supports people coping with the addiction of a family member. We have trained people who are very experienced at supporting people through this that you could talk with if you contact us.

You can contact Icarus Trust on help@icarustrust.org or visit our website http://www.icarustrust.org

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE