My beautiful boy

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
      max
      Participant

I am hopeful and hope what I’m about to say can give some of you hope too . My boy has been using drugs & alcohol as a way of life for two years , causing heartbreak to all who love him , ( I don’t need to elaborate on this because if you’re reading this , then you know the pain I mean ) He has been clean for one month today . He is living with his sister & working in their family business . This may sound such a small normal event but believe me it really isn’t . He rang me today , first time we’ve spoken since I withdrew my enabling support three months ago . He hit the bottom having no where to live and having taken a beating from people he owed money to , he rang me for help and God forgive me but I told him I couldn’t help him . So hard to do . I told him this time he had to sort his own mess out . He begged his sister and she has given him one chance only . Mess up and ship out or work hard stay clean and we will help you . Four weeks later he sounds clear and concise . He says he feels amazing , has gained weight and has come to realise that he was a junkie . My daughter says he is doing really well and working hard . To be honest I’m still holding my breath and now that I’m not constantly in a state of worry I’m not sure what went on in my brain before it became consumed with fear & anger & hurt & misery . I’ve forgotten how to just be relaxed !!!! I’m looking forward to re learning that miraculous state of being !! My fingers are crossed , he has also opened up a line of communication with his fathers side of the family , something I have been encouraging for years . I don’t know if my boy will ever realise the heartache he caused but today that doesn’t really matter . For one month he has stayed clean and broken all ties with the people he associated with previously . A happy day and I hope every single one of you reading this get your own happy day . I will keep you posted . X

sad-and-tired
      Participant

i am so pleased for you. I hope I can get to this point but at the moment the misery goes on. Reading your story has come at a good time for me and has given me the strength to continue to say no xx

max
      Participant

Hi sad & tired , it took me a long time to get to the point of saying no ! Untold misery and thousands of pounds !! I finally accepted that his bad choices were his alone and I wasn’t to blame . I knew logically it wasn’t my fault but as a mother who loves my heart was in turmoil . Adfam helped me a lot and the ‘enabling’ advice made sense . We can’t fix our children because they’re not children , they’re adults making choices , just as you and I did at their ages !! I feel like the addict myself at the moment with the pledge “one day at a time” trying to be joyful but with caution . You’re not alone and not to blame . They have to hit a bottom and want things to change . I know that’s said over and over in these blogs but it is so true . All my good wishes are with you and my heart knows where you’re at x

sad-and-tired
      Participant

thanks well he is certainly going to hit rock bottom soon. He isn’t there yet by any means but its coming. I just called him because he has messed up his sisters evening with his selfish demands and been told to f off ….hay nothing different there then. He hasn’t changed a bit. x I hope the day comes I will get him back but at the moment I don’t even like him

max
      Participant

I think it’s okay not to like your child for a while . One of my wise daughters asked me if I would accept that kind of treatment from a random person . Of course not , I replied . Then why put up with it from someone you have only ever loved and cared for ? Get a backbone she told me . She was right , I had turned from a strong woman into a wimp trying not to antagonise my verbally aggressive son . It’s hard to do but you have to heal yourself first maybe . X

sad-and-tired
      Participant

and of course your daughter is right, we wouldn’t accept it from a stranger, so why accept it from someone you have only ever cared for? because you don’t want to lose them I suppose. I am normally a strong person as well and spend my time walking on egg shells around him. How strange that we have all been through the same. Sometimes it feels like I am in a nightmare but sadly it isn’t a nightmare and all I can do is wait and watch and hope that things get better. xx you sound such a level headed person and very knowing, I guess you have been through a lot. I hope things continue to get better for you and your boy. One day I hope my son will look back and realise the pain he has caused at the moment he just doesn’t seem to care. x

cant-take-no-more
      Participant

Max, im so pleased your son is on his road to recovery. As sad and tired has said, we have all been at the end of the abuse….its upto us to stop the enabling and for a parent that is the HARDEST thing to do. It was like a bereavement when I finally faced what ha been staring me in the face for a long time…My son is an addict…he may not do it every day, but he uses on a regular basis. I had to tell ll my family NOT to give him any money, to put up with the lying, the stealing is the worse…..All the excuses, all the threats to kill himself……A light eventually went on, and from then on I told him he was on his own. He is at the moment in prison doing a 4 month sentence…..and I truly hope when he gets out he resumes the counselling he had started ..He too has said he has had enough, I just hope he is strong enough. Never give up on your kids, they too deserve a happier life!!

sad-and-tired
      Participant

cant take no more, you are right, I have got to the point of seeing what my son has become, and what I need to do to best help him and that doesn’t mean helping him with money. He has to go to court in a couple of weeks for not paying his court fine, so he could end up in prison and he talks about this quite matter of factly. He doesn’t want me to go with him so what can I do, I imagine I will hear if he is jailed as his friend is going with him. Once I would have been horrified now I just hope that whatever happens it helps him, it will keep him away from the scum bags he is associating with anyway. xx

max
      Participant

My son also owes “fine” money and I’m not clear whether or not he is yet addressing that but I will not ask . It is his business and his consequences for past behaviours . I think the more we involve ourselves the more power we give them to manipulate us emotionally for their own ends .

sad-and-tired
      Participant

yes you are right, just had a text from my son to say he is blocking me as because I wont pay car tax petrol, insurance and finance for car he will not be able to start his job on Monday. Trouble is its the best part of £1000 then an month in hand and then he will go back to how he was and just blow his wages and not pay his bills again. Who will then have to pay muggins here. Yes I feel guilty as hell but what can I do……..I feel really bad but I cant keep on it has to stop somewhere.

max
      Participant

Oh have I been there !! “Mum I need to get out of town to start a better life ” so I paid a deposit on a rural rental , helped him move , swore he wouldn’t let people know where his new place was etc . All talk to get what he wanted , his other landlord was kicking him out for unpaid rent and I fell for it again !!! 8 weeks later my friend , who’s property it was was at my door . No rent paid !!!! I rang my boy and told him if he didn’t get down to sort it out by the end of the day then I would !!! And I did . I was mortified because it had been used as a drug den for his stupid friends . I was so angry & embarrassed that I took all of his belongings to the local dump and rang him to tell him I was done with him ! No more stupid mum . That was my turning point . It took getting very very angry at his “couldn’t give a shit attitude ” . I would advice you to try very hard to say no . Walk or catch a bus !! Even if you offer him the first weeks bus fare , if he wants to take the job he will find the means to get there . Who paid you’re way at his age ??? I would imagine that no one did . Sending you best wishes !

sad-and-tired
      Participant

Max, it all sounds so familiar. I keep asking myself if I had been a harder mum would he be different, if I didn’t care about him would be not be abusive. The answer I will never know, he now says he hates me and will never have any more to do with me. So far I am keeping to what I say, but I am sad, its not how I believe a mum should be, we do everything we can for our children, so to say no doesn’t seem right. I really pray that it will make a difference and I was going to say wont ruin his life but he has already made a good start at ruining his life.
      He wont be able to get a bus or walk as the job is way out of town, but that’s not my problem, he knew when he walked out of his last job that his debts were continuing to go up. Good old mum will stump up again he thought but I cant keep doing it and why should I. It means nothing to him. You are right no one paid my way at his age, I worked hard and brought my own things, if I didn’t have the money no one handed it to me……
      I hope in a while I can post something similar to both of you to say my son is turning things around, I really really hope so. xxx

max
      Participant

It’s not easy of course it isn’t , but your son is going to be angry that you’ve said ‘no’ because it’s not the way it should go in his mind . You’ve always said yes before and he’s comfortable with that . Maybe try to turn it round in your head and tell yourself that it IS because you love your son that you’re saying no . “Yes” hasn’t worked so far so the only thing left to try is the word ‘no’ . My son fell out with me so many times that I lost count . I would fret & worry and imagine the worst every time . And every time he was absolutely fine and at the next party giving no thought to how he’d left me feeling . Drugs make them the ultimate selfish being . You clearly are a good mum and maybe you have to cut him loose before he is ready to come back . Believe me I have been exactly where you’re at and know how easily I can be back there . He will speak to you again because he will try another way to get what he wants from you knowing that in the past he has always finally got you to say yes !!! Be strong . X

sad-and-tired
      Participant

I know that you are right, it just doesn’t sit easy with me…..but in my heart I know exactly what will happen if I set him up again, he will take my money let me get his car back up to date and then blow all his cash and let his car go back in arrears. I know that will happen, and when I think that I can be strong because I know I cant help him, not even if I gave him my bank card. It would never be enough. He has made my life a misery over the last couple of years and I don’t deserve it, I know that, I have only ever tried to help him. In return I get called a f ing retard etc. he isn’t my son anymore….so I will stick with it, and pray that he can find the strength to pull his self back round. xxx

max
      Participant

Do you know , I have raised 3 children . I have two older daughters who are lovely well balanced young women . They weren’t angels but they were ‘normal’ anxieties as they hit teenage years . I grew up in care . Not a good place believe me !! So for me , like you, I believed there was nothing I wouldn’t do for my kids . My children are well loved and have wanted for nothing , they’ve had a privileged upbringing . My son at 20 is not a reflection of my mothering skills . Sadly he is a reflection of the society we live in . Denied nothing , no repercussions for bad behaviour and a culture of ‘I want and I want it now’ . It’s my right etc . Well for our boys sad & tired its time for them to wake up and face reality . The world owes them nothing . We are not their life time meal ticket . My son now knows that I will be there to help him when he shows me that he is making positive healthy choices for his life . Respect will come when your boy accepts that you mean what you say and stick to it . Funnily enough once you start saying no it does get easier to keep saying it . X

olive
        Participant

hi,I through out my husband from our home two weeks ago, I have two little boys myself. Reading your post is like reading my life, I found my husband smoking heroine at home with his mate, I lost it, I couldn’t take it no more, his on program and methadone, but he still has been using, I feel so lost, I don’t know who I am no more, I got some help, it’s what you should do, the worst thing is to be on your own, it’s easier if someone can explain it to you what’s happening and what you already know,but when you live with it you became part of it, if you get help you will stop blame yourself, and that’s a step forward, make sure you get support,that was the best thing I could ever do, my husband was faced with two choices family or drugs, he is working to be clean again, but I won’t let him come back until i know he can do it, it’s so so hard for both of us and kids.
        wish you all the best, olive

sad-and-tired
      Participant

Thank you for your support and I do need it at the moment. For someone who has been through the care system, you have come out well, I know its tough to be pulled from your family but sometimes (not always) it is the better option, I do know something about it. you are smart, articulate and obviously a wonderful mum, your children are very lucky. I keep saying to my son that when he is ready to ask for and accept help with his lifestyle I will be there for him, if I felt he wanted to get back on track I would move the world to get him the help he needs. You are right that once you start being harder it gets easier, it is certainly easier now he is not at home and I am being knocked up at 4.00 in the morning . I had to take his key away as I was getting up early hours and he had all sorts of people in my home and would bring female one night stands in. I had to stop it as I didn’t feel safe anymore. God so much has happened….
      I went to drop some food off to him and his friend the other morning, I got him to get his friend to the door and was shocked at how he looked his eyes were wide and staring, he didn’t seem able to speak and when he did it was very soft and quet. My daughter who was with me was so shocked as she had nt seen her brother for a while and thought they both looked awful. My son has had a skin rash for some time which itches, doctor gave him anti histermines. I have been reading it can be a symptom of heroin use, which worries me…..do you know anything about this? I don’t suppose it matters what he is taking but heroin seems the worst. xx

max
      Participant

I know a little about heroin but the skin rash could be little more than a result of any substance abuse . They tend to drink a lot of energy drinks which have no nutrients in them . That combined with a diet of junk food can leave the skin in terrible condition . My son was using , amongst other things ketamine & coke . My brother is a recovering heroine user . He smoked it as he was afraid of needles !! Heroin users end up getting not getting a “high” . They take it , in the end, to just “feel normal ” !!! We are conditioned to think of heroin as the worst but maybe nowadays with so many different drugs available it is no worse or better . I would do food drops to my son regularly , often with him not even coming to the door . He would tell me to put it in the shed and he would pick it up later . I would continually make excuses for his behaviour . I think some of my blackest times were down to self pity , hard to admit that even to myself but “why my son ” who had such potential . And shame in admitting to friends what he had become . Misplaced pride ! Do try to stay strong and not allow him to dominate all of your waking hours , sleeping ones too no doubt . The more often you say no the less often he will ask . Life is always changing , have a little trust that eventually things will come right and if not, then you boy is travelling a path of his choosing . X

sad-and-tired
      Participant

yes again you are right, I know for certain that a big one for my son was coke but from my understanding he would take anything he could get his hands on. I drop food off to my son, but maybe now I have refused to keep his car on the road for him he wont even let me do that. (that is what we were doing when I saw him and his friend together) also ( I am such a mug) he said his friend needed 20 as they were doing his friends car up, and I gave it, I don’t know why…..now I am thinking what did they use it for. You saying your son told you to leave food in the shed sounds familiar, they just cant be bothered and don’t care…. Funny I went to bed early last night and slept really well but the minute I woke up (just now) I thought of him and know although it hurts me to do it, I AM doing the right thing for him long term. I so hope we get to the position you are in and I see some light at the end of the tunnel. Fingers crossed eh. xxx

loulou
        Participant

Hi emmum,
        My son is also 15. We live in a lovely rural village, and I STUPIDLY was naive enough to think my boys were all safe! How wrong was I. I’ve had money going missing, he,s been rude and aggressive one minute, then his usual lovely affectionate self next minute. He,s started hanging around with boys I don’t know who are older than him. Last night I did a drugs test on him. It came back positive for weed and mcat. I’ve banned him from seeing these other boys, and I’ve told him the drugs test is a regular thing. I’m making an appointment with school tomorrow. What more can I do? We had a big talk last night. He cried, I cried. He promised it was the first time he,d tried mcat, but to be honest he lies so much I can’t believe him.
        I have 2 younger sons, the youngest being just 3. So I can’t give my 100% attention to my eldest and watch him constantly. But what more can I do? Where did I go wrong? I have to stop this before it goes any further, but how?

cant-take-no-more
      Participant

Ladies it seems our loves mirror each other…Each of us at different stages…but I CANT SAY IT ENOUGH……..STOP ENABLING !!!! It has to be the hardest thing a parent can do, but I came to the conclusion, if he wanted to take that rubbish, he would have to find other ways of paying for it…bank of mum was most definately closed !!! I am thankful for the wonderful people I have met on here…and have taken comfort too…..

sad-and-tired
      Participant

yes I am thankful too. It is good to know that people understand what I am going through and it gives me hope when I read that it looks like for some of you, things are improving. I think that spurs me on… I am not expecting an easy time over the next couple of weeks because as usual it will all be my fault, everything…..some of the things he says is my fault are just amazing and I wonder what planet he is on if he really believes that. I hope the day will come when he can look back and see what I actually did do for him over and over. xxx

max
      Participant

Yes, we’re all on different pages of the same story . Sad and tired …… About the shopping you provide , ‘can’t take no more’ is correct . You are still enabling . I did the same for several years . The food you buy is either rotting in his cupboards because he won’t bother cooking for himself , or you are paying to feed his druggie friends . Shelter & food are the basics of living , while you provide either things he will continue to take the easiest route which for him is to continue with the lifestyle he has . I was and still am to a great degree blamed by my son for what has happened with him , although he no longer is abusive he still needs to re assure himself that it couldn’t be his own doing . Maybe that will come with maturity . The drugs they take distort all thought processes so you can’t hope that he wii see the light while he is still using . Those expectations will only hurt you further . Now you have started saying “no” he is spitting the proverbial dummy . He doesn’t hate you , you are most likely the person he loves most in his world , but the drugs make him behave a certain way . It is hard to see them do without and your natural inclination is to nurture BUT any giving in is enabling . Be strong , take back the power you have handed over to someone , who at the moment has no respect for you. X .

sad-and-tired
      Participant

you are so right, I am getting texts from him demanding petrol money or he wont be able to take this job and that will be my fault BUT he wants a weeks petrol money not a can a day like I usually give. When I said no he just text die. Lovely, I tried to call him but he text don’t call me, he is possibly in the pub and quite aggressive and nasty but hay whats new there…….x I thought by buying food at least he would be eating, I cant believe how awful he has become.

max
      Participant

Hold your ground , you’re doing really well , it may not feel like it but consider , if you think your son is in the pub then he has money to spend !! You have changed the goal posts and he doesn’t like it . I heard as much and worse from my son “drop dead ” was his choice of words . You’ll no doubt hear more anger from him before he accepts what you’re doing , after all he has had a lifetime of knowing he can get round mum . This new stronger mum is someone he is now being introduced to and he’s showing his displeasure . They almost revert back to being 5 year olds , stamping their feet . Where at 5 you could smack the bottom or take away their favourite toys to correct behaviour you can’t do that now , maybe the ‘no’ word is much the same as taking away the toys . Could I suggest that you switch your phone off . Don’t open his texts or speak with him for the rest of the day . I’m sure he has done this many times to you . Don’t be available to his abuse . I spent several years dreading my phone alerting me to texts & calls because I knew none of them from him was to show interest in how I was . Only to drag me further into his misery . Stick with it , say no to every demand , i know how hard this is for you but you will end up making yourself ill if you let him regain the upper hand . X

cant-take-no-more
      Participant

Im on a FB page for parents with addicted kids..I dont comment, purely because I dont want friends knowing my business…..BUT, the message that is clear as day is to stop doing anything for them…..I have been guilty of still letting him come to mine for tea. lunch but not if he has taken anything….My son wants me to send him a postal order for Prison, but I wont…..Ive written, and explained briefly, but what I really need to do is tell him how his addiction has effected us…what he has stolen, how his lies effected us and me as a mother…..thats going to be hard for sure…. He has already put out a hand for help, and I hope when he gets out he continues…. Sad and tired..you are a remarkable mother, pulling away does 2 things….1- gives you back some of your independance from your son and 2…. lets your son know its his choice……… Im not saying give up on him, far from it, bu offer that support when he is ready…..hugs to you all xxx

sad-and-tired
      Participant

thank you both, and yes he is acting like a 5 year old….he has admitted doing drugs, but he isn’t an addict, addicts steal and beat people up for drugs. I reminded him how he stole all my jewellery. He is young and having a good time he says, so I asked him how many 50 year old addicts still think they are having a good time. Please god that he will pull it round or show signs of it like both of your boys. His texts are getting more and more nasty and I can understand it to an extent he isn’t getting what he wants, he says I am a f..ing retard, that’s not a new one either. He doesn’t seem to understand that being like this isn’t the way to get what you want. I really struggle with why he cant get his head around that….

max
      Participant

It’s okay . He’s not going to accept being drug dependent , he’s not THAT stupid he will tell you …… he can stop taking them any time ………. You just don’t understand …….. That’s another one lol !!! And maybe he’s not addicted and maybe he can stop whenever he wants to , but either way today he is using . My son stole repeatedly from us , even using my debit card without my knowledge . He broke into my house while I was away visiting my terminally ill father etc etc etc . We take a lot us mothers before we see that our overflowing love is not always good for our children when addictions are involved . It’s okay to love him and equally okay to not like him and to hate the way he behaves . They want all the supposed fun of adulthood but still want mum to look after them and pick up the tab . They can abuse us all day long but cannot understand when we say “no more” . There is no logic to them . Step back and try not to fuel the fire . Each time you respond to his abuse you extend the conversation for him to give you more of the same . Try hanging up the phone every time the conversation turns nasty , don’t try to reason with him because you won’t win . Let him see that you will only enter into a conversation when it is non abusive and do that every single time . That is the only kind of message he will understand as he is today . He is trying to guilt trip you to get his own way . Try really hard not to reward his behaviour . I can only advise as I have lived the same situation , your head knows what you need to do , your heart just needs to catch up x

cant-take-no-more
      Participant

SWITCH YOUR PHONE OFF……..he will soon get the message and as Max has said delete his texts…….BEFORE reading them…..I hate the world we have all been thrust in, I hate his so called mates who were no where to be seen in court, I hate his lies, but I KNOW it was his choice….and not mine!!!!!!!!!!!!

sad-and-tired
      Participant

funny how the so called mates disappear when they have no cash or no transport. none of them offer to help…..Max you are so right in everything you are saying, it is heartbreaking to see the child you have loved steal from you and break into your home, I cannot trust my son at all, whenever he was here I had to keep my purse with me. My jewellery went and when I found out it was him he just mocked me. Yes my head does know what to do, theres no turning back now. Do you know it may sound strange but I wonder if he even wants to go for this job, I sometimes think he doesn’t and he will be able to blame me for it, it feels sometimes that all he wants is an excuse for an argument. Well that will be something new wont it. xxxx

kyla
        Participant

Hello. I just want to say I feel your pain. Ive been with my hubby 11yrs. Hes used cannabis all that time but he doesnt drink or go out partying so I didn’t mind tbh. We have a 5yr old n im 4mth pregnant. Last year he started working nights. I discovered he had been sniffin cocaine to stat awake. He didn’t tell me until heghad spent nearly 3000grand n tried to over dose on pills. This was a cry for help. He went to see a councillor n eventually moved back home (I asked him to leave because his mood swings were so wild) anyway 3 days after I discover im pregnant and 2daysbefore a hholiday in April he confessed he had spent all our money on coke. We went away with what I had saved and he promised to change. Then on payday 900 quid worth of payday loans came out the bank I was furious and pregnant and scared. We git him on a debt management plan and I hid his bank card and he cannot apply for payday loans anymore because he entered the debt plan so would be refusedd. Then this payday he found his card n boughy coke so I changed his pin. Then 3nights ago he stole his card after discovering he couldn’t withdraw he confessed he owd money to a dealer. Hes spent everything including the money he was meant to contribute to our sons birthday next week. Ive kicked him out n im cutting him off. Theres nothing more I can do. He needs to sink or swim. I love him so much but he loves drugs more. I hope you have made progress in your situation xxx

max
      Participant

Ah of course he will blame you for not turning up for the job , easier to do than accept responsibility for himself . If he really wants a job he will find one that he can get to under his own steam . Surprising how resourceful they can be when it comes to getting their drugs and alcohol . It’s hard I know but try not to take the verbal abuse to heart . Once it’s out of his mouth he has forgotten it . Don’t go over and over the conversations in your mind it will only torment you . Try not to nag or advise him it will only fall on deaf ears and wind him up further . For a time now try to concentrate on your own life again doing things that give you some feeling of peace. I meditate and that helps me towards a calm mind . My email is paynemax2@aol.com. If at any time you would rather mail then please feel free . I’m sending many good thoughts to you . X

asibling
        Participant

Thank you for sharing your story.

It seems there are few services and research done considering the experience of family members, in particular siblings. That is why I am conducting a research project looking at the narratives of siblings, encouraging others like you to share their experiences. If you wish to participate and share your story or would like more information please contact me at u1422721@uel.ac.uk. Thank you.

sad-and-tired
      Participant

Thank you. I will email you if that’s ok . Maybe tomorrow x
      It is difficult not to try to get through to him but yes it does sound like nagging and it does wind him up. I used to go to yoga I have thought about starting again it may help. Funny but since he hasn’t been living here it’s been ok, I can get on and its peaceful, but when he starts to go on and on because he wants something I get uptight and guilty. Thanks for being here for me today, believe me you have been a great help xxx

max
      Participant

You’re very very welcome . Try to get a good nights sleep . Tomorrow is another day & amazing things may happen . That’s my mantra lol x

kiki
        Participant

Ive just gone on here today for the first time – very very similar story to Broken re the girlfriend (i know she hit him too) My son is 19 (20 in October) was the most loving kind funny lad – I like all Mums on here have cried and cried and almost feel like I’m mourning the son I once had. Lately he has started punching walls and doors when I question him or try to mention help. I am frighted to tell my husband of 29 years happy marriage about the abuse that gets hurled at me as he says he wants to ‘knock his block off” btw my husband is not a violent man and has never laid a hand on me and has been like myself a brilliant father and husband. I have just witnessed an hour ago my son slamming the door as usual and walking up the path – turning back round spitting and calling me a C… (sorry about that) He does not come from a violent home or a home where we have every permitted swearing etc. As I am writing this I almost feel that I can’t quite believe how all this has happened over the last year and how angry and abusive m dear son has become. He has gambled and been overdrawn a few times and before I realised what was going on we cleared his overdraft and spent many times sitting down talking to him. I am now just trying to decide the best course of action. Like you all I kept blaming myself as some sort of bad mother and a failure but then when I sit quietly and reflect on everything I’ve done for him and all the love he has had I do know in my heart that I have been a good Mum – I do think I am beginning to ramble now but I just needed somewhere to go and see if I can get any help and advice from other people going through the same. My heart goes out to all of you on here as I am now realising what lies ahead. I am usually a strong person and I do realise that I have to stay well for the sake of my older son, husband, grandson and future grandson (due any day now) The only way I think I can ever help my dear son is for me to get help and stay strong if I can – Just want to say thank you for listening and reading this and my heart goes out to all of you xxxxxxxx

sad-and-tired
      Participant

Lol I hope so. goodnight max xxx

max
      Participant

Six weeks on ……. I saw my son on Friday . First time in two & months . He is still with his sister and doing well at work . He’s gained weight , his skin is better , he was relaxed and courteous with me . Two hugs !!! He’s doing so well that he’s joining us for a family dinner later today . Am I nervous ……… Oh yes I am ! The memories of who he was are still all too fresh but although I may be outwardly calm my feet will be paddling like mad below the waterline !! This is a big day for us . I know he’ll be nervous too . For all of you still fighting for your “lost” ones do what it is you have to do ……. For me it was to stop enabling in every sense of the word and step right back . This advice on Adfam probably saved our sanity . Fingers crossed for today !!!

lolipop
        Participant

What a great response to your son , I think that’s a really great way of showing your support but not taking too much on yourself . I wish I could be the same sometimes I say nothing because I’m just to unsure of what the right thing is to say . It really does sound like your son has an understanding of his situation and what some of his down falls could be . Hope he stays that way . You’ve done brilliantly xx

cazandyx
        Participant

What an amazing young lad, My heart goes out to you and yr family..He is on a journey that is achievable but as you know it will be difficult at times. Keep strong, he is blessed with such a caring parent X

icarus_trust
        Participant

Hi CANT TAKE NO MORE,

So pleased to hear he is making progress!

cant-take-no-more
        Participant

Had a call today ans spent over an hour on the phone…my poor son is finding it so hard…ready to give up. Addiction tests those in recovery to their limits….the fear in his voice, the admission of feeling weak and depressed and unable to cope…his honesty telling me he had had some cocaine, to stop the feelings….so we talked about the whys, and what would be HIS next step…to morrow he will go to see his counsellor, and try and get in to see his doctor..I have so much admiration for him…his battle is far from over, and as his mum, will walk beside him to show him I am on his side and believe he can do it….if anyone out there has any words of wisdom now would be a good time to tell me…he texted to say he was in bed, off to work in the morning…..I pray he stays strong enough to keep trying…my love for him and trust in him knows that our fight is ongoing..the devil of addiction better be ready for me, cause I’m one bad ass mum, who will do anything to help my son get through this….prayers to all those effected by addiction stay strong!

violet
          Participant

This could be me my son to is an addict &I I don’t know how to deal with this no one understands thank u for your story I don’t feel so alone

helenjh
          Participant

Nobody who hasn’t been through it can understand – some try most just don’t get it.

I still dont actually know anybody else with a child that is an addict and that makes you feel like you are alone going through this …. how long has he been an addict? My son is once again trying to get clean but its a rollercoaster ….. right now he is in his 2nd week clean and dry again – he is such a sweet kind person when he is clean but when the addiction takes over i no longer recognise who he becomes :'(

cant-take-no-more
          Participant

Addiction consumes the addict and everyone around them that cares and loves them. My son has been clean, then he relapses, then he’s clean again…just before xmas he OD and ended up on life support..being led to the relatives room, is something I had envisaged would happen, surreal, and with every inch of me, I wanted to turn and run…he was lucky…no lasting damage..I wanted to shout And scream at him, but knew it wouldn’t make a jot of difference…this is his fight…I will champion him when he is trying to help himself, but I’m damned if I will watch him kill himself….his fight continues…I hope he and others make it

icarus-trust
          Participant

I really feel for you and admire your strength that keeps you going. The Icarus Trust is a charity that supports family and friends of addicts – people like yourself. Please get in touch if you think talking to one of our experienced trained volunteers would be of any help to you.
          You can contact us on help@icarustrust.org or visit the website http://www.icarustrust.org
          Good luck and hoping for things to improve for you and your son.

sad-and-tired
      Participant

fingers crossed. love to you both, well done.. xxxx

icarus_trust
        Participant

Hi Brother!

For a situation of this level, you need to speak to people who have had a similar experience with addicts in the family. Also, even though it is your brother with the poblem, you also need help every now and then. The Icarus Trust is an charity which provides a free Family Friend, who is someone for you to speak to about your situation. And then there is a signposting service to help you find the best help for you and your family. Please get in touch with them on info@icarustrust.org or go to their website http://www.icarustrust.org. It can at least be a step in the right direction to you.

Best of luck!

max
      Participant

Oh dear that wasn’t so good . He turned up on something , whether it was weed or something else I don’t know . He was stumbling , losing the thread of the conversation and repeating himself . So although there are improvements that he is working and straight through the working week ( I spoke to his boss) it seems the weekends are not as drug free as I’d hoped . I don’t know if I’m just expecting too much at once but I’m so disappointed this eve . I won’t be inviting him back to the house for quite some time again . Somehow I thought he’d really make an effort for today after all the heartbreaks of the past . Why do I set myself up every time ? I’m a fool !

tinanortheast
        Participant

You are right…you sound so mature….it will be lonely..
        but you have to do what is right by your children..
        you will make new friends
        good luck.
        tinanortheast

pinkpink
        Participant

you sound so strong for a young girl keep going look after your own children they wont and yourselfx

pinkpink
        Participant

sorry take care and look after yourself your doing well and your best x

icarus_trust
        Participant

Hi Beth,

tinanortheast is right. You need to do what is best for your family. There is an organisation called The Icarus Trust who provide support for families suffering with addiction, they may be able to help you in one form or another. It is a free service, so is always worth a shot. You can email them on info@icarustrust.org or have a look at their website http://www.icarustrust.org.

Good luck!

sad-and-tired
      Participant

so sorry why do they always let us down. Not a fool, just a loving, hopeful mum., who has been disappointed….you have made big strides with him, keep going. I will email you tomorrow. Stay strong xxxxxx

tinanortheast
        Participant

They don’t really help do they….
        They do sit and get there money easy…we have to jump through hoops and still get no where…you are lucky your child is still alive…you sound like a good mum”’ lots of my sons friends that are on drugs have died…..I go to my sons surgery a lot..and have been going for years..it used to be heaving with young lads and lasses..but know its empty….
        tinanortheast

cant-take-no-more
        Participant

Until the government start taking rehab seriously, and look at the cold hard facts ( most men and women end up in jail due to their addiction, which in turn means they are forking out a mass of money ) then addicts will always be let down……it breaks my heart to know that so little money is ploughed into drug centres…not sure what the answer is!

icarus_trust
        Participant

Hi Danros,

I am so sorry to hear this, it’s unbelievable! The Icarus Trust have a free signposting service to suitable and local alternatives for help, which may be better than what you were initially given. You will also have a Family Friend to speak to about your situation which will help you. If you would like to get in touch with them, you can email them on info@icarustrust.org or go to their website http://www.icarustrust.org.

I wish you all the best, and that a solution is found for you soon!

icarus-trust
          Participant

So very sorry to hear what an awful time you are having. Please contact The Icarus Trust. We are a charity that supports the family and friends of addicts. We offer a free service called ‘Family Friends who are our experienced trained volunteers. You could talk with one of them and they would be able to tell you what other help is out there for both you and your son.
          You can contact us on help@icarustrust.org or visit the website http://www.icarustrust.org
          I hope you can get someone to help you in this really difficult time Good luck.

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE