My Brother

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      jayne
      Participant

My brother is 24 years old and has been a Heroin addict for 8 years.
      As a family it is tearing us apart. My mum is on the verge of a breakdown and lives in fear of the dreaded knock on the door to say that he has overdosed.
      We thought that we had got through the worst when he had come very close to dying not long ago. He vowed that he would get better and never touch the drug again. Months of repairing his body and having family and friends ‘babysit’ him seemed to be paying off. He had been in a very bad way in intensive care and then a long stint in hospital with DVT, Scepticemia and Absesses. His veins had all collapsed and he looked terrible with his frail, ill body.
      He started to gain weight and gain back a few genuine friends. He had everything he could want or need living with my Mum. He even started to have a good relationship with my children and his own son. Then the day came when he went out on his own and wouldn’t answer his phone. He had lapsed. When we got hold of him he was very ill. He said he would never do it again.
      Famous last words. It didn’t take long for the lies and minipulation to start again. The attitude and the Thieving.
      He choose to go and live back on the streets (or stay in any squat he could) He proved that more than anything, he loved Heroine. Nothing that anyone can say or do can convince him to give it up. His body is back to looking like that of an old mans. he is hardly able to walk. He is back to walking the streets being called a ‘smack head’, a junkie’ or whichever other cruel words people want to use. People seem to forget that that ‘smack head’ is someones son, brother, Dad, Grandson, Uncle. There does not seem to be much help for families in this area and it is really hard to cope with.
      I can only hope that my brother wakes up and chooses to rid himself of the evil Heroin before its too late.

kids2014
      Participant

i feel for all of your family GOD BLESS

asibling
      Participant

Thank you for sharing your story.

It seems there are few services and research done considering the experience of family members, in particular siblings. That is why I am conducting a research project looking at the narratives of siblings, encouraging others like you to share their experiences. If you wish to participate and share your story or would like more information please contact me at u1422721@uel.ac.uk. Thank you.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE