My middle age sister is an alcoholic

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      davem
      Participant

My sister is an alchoholic, having had a problem with drink for many years. As well as me, her eldest sibling, she has another brother and sister. She also has 4 lovely children of her own and many grand children. We all love her. She has a very caring nature and needs to be needed. She’s a qualified nurse and has been in the caring profession for many years.
      Unfortunately she is a drinker and has done her best to hide this from us all for many years. However thiings came to a head a year ago and she ended up spending a month at a private clinic. 5 days after coming out she started drinking again.
      Currently she is very up and down – one day happy and the next day saying she feels ‘crap’. On these days she’ll speak very slowly, as if in a dream world, and often contradict herself.
      We think she lies often, and never really opens up.
      She should be going to alcoholics anonymous 3 times per week – but doesn’t go at all.
      We would like to make things better for her, but don’t know how.
      She’s going on a 2 week cruise with our Mum soon …. but when she gets back what will have changed ?
      Do we just stand on the side lines — NO —- but what can we do? She shows signs of having a nervous breakdown and being depressed – but won’t go to the doctor or contemplate taking prescribed medication.
      She sleeps a lot
      I understand there is no magic cure – but we all want her to be happy. Has anyone the same experience?
      Do we confront her – or will this makes things worse?
      Does she need to hit rock bottom before taking some initiative herself?
      How do we approach her in a constructive way without her getting all defensive?
      Thanks

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE