My son is a cocaine addict

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      runner
      Participant

My son has been addicted to cocaine for 4 years, I only discovered this a year ago last June when he made his 1st serious suicide attempt. He also hears voices, has done since he was 5, (now 25) has anxiety, depression and borderline personality disorder, and aspergers syndrome.
      He has been sacked from 3 jobs, the last one because he had too much time off sick, was an inpatient in a psychiatric unit for 3 weeks with psychosis, after yet another suicide attempt.
      This weekend he went on a complete bender, I didn’t recognise the signs. He blew over £1000 on coke, his first months wages in his new job.
      I have tried everything to support him. He goes to a weekly drug support group but doesn’t actually engage, just attends. His dad has control over his finances, (clearly not control enough) We hide all the knives and medication, keep his prescribed meds under lock and key due to his self harming and suicide attempts and he is currently sleeping on my bedroom floor because I can’t bear another trip to A&E.
      He can be the sweetest person when he tries and is not coked up to his eyeballs, and then nasty, manipulative and vile when he is.
      I love my son to the ends of the earth, as we all do, but I am now at the end of my tether. I went to my GP this morning as I also have a bad back caused by running, she offered me antidepressants …… really! I told her I’m not depressed, just very very stressed.
      so, what do I do next?!

icarus-trust
      Participant

Hello,
      Thanks so much for sharing your story. I am so sorry that you are having such a difficult and worrying time trying to support your son.
      The Icarus Trust is a charity set up to offer support for those, like yourself, who are living with the impact of a loved one’s addiction. If you get in touch, one of our experienced, trained volunteers will contact you and talking with them may help you to find a way forward.
      You can contact us on help@icarustrust.org or visit the website http://www.icarustrust.org
      I really hope that this will help. All the very best.

administrator
      Participant

Dear Runner

I am very sorry to hear about your situation. We have a project at Adfam linking parents who are experiencing abusive behaviour from their drug or alcohol using children. If you would be interested in learning more and getting some peer support over the phone please email Alison Hill (a.hill@adfam.org.uk).
      Best wishes
      Adfam

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE