Need a change

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      dannyboy
      Participant

I am 41 and have been a drinker since been an early teenager. In fact I got done for stealing lager when I was about 13.

It has never been a real problem. No drink monday to thursday generally and then binge on friday, saturday, sunday. I’m married but no kids so lived the life of an 18 yr old and never got out of it.

Then lockdown came a few years back. I was working from home so started going out for a cheeky few to break up been indoors a few nights a week. This soon escalated to every night. I realised it was no good as I was out drinking other daily regulars in the pub by quite a bit.

I had a good job and decided stupidly to quit it. I managed to get another job but my wage dropped 50%. At the time I thought less money would do me good as I was at a point where I thought about my next pint as soon as I woke up. I thought, if I cant afford ot then all should be good.

Instead I then started getting into debt, borrowing money and gambling to try get something together. I started selling stuff behind my wifes back to pull some cash in.

Anyways. Managed to calm it down a bit to a few nights through the week and then weekends. Currently just do one night through the week then fri, sat, sun. I still spend all my disposable income on beer.

However, I have managed to get my old job back. Problem is, I don’t want to get back to where I was and drinking daily. How do I stop this? Am I alcoholic? Do I want to stop completely? What do people do who don’t drink? Will I lose my social circle?

eddie123
      Participant

Hi there, I am sorry to hear you are struggling, I know of a fantastic charity that would love to support you . They are based in Oxford. Please have a look on their website – you can also fill in a referral form. https://adaptoxford.org.uk. I know numerous people who have had support from them and done exceedingly well. They offer free treatment.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE