New to seeking support

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      ruby123
      Participant

Hi, I’ve recently made the decision to reach out for support, my partner is a regular heavy drinker. Its been causing problems for us for a number of years and especially in the last 2 years. I contacted his mum today which I’ve been thinking about doing for months now but always convince myself not to. I’m worried I haven’t done the right thing because he has turned family and friends against me in the past to protect himself. Last year he went to his family and said he was having issues with drinking but his mum refused to believe it and didn’t offer him or me any support so I don’t know if she was being sincere when he told me she would help. I feel extremely isolated as I really dont want my family to know about it because I don’t want them to see him any differently. He went to counselling last year but I know he wouldn’t have been honest about the issues. He’s been physical with me in the past and is often threatening towards me when he’s drunk if I’m upset. I’m 35 weeks pregnant with my first baby and worried about how I will cope after the baby is born and don’t think I’m strong enough to be happy and postive for my baby while dealing with his drinking issues. I know I need to get support in some way but don’t know where to go or where to start. He’s really good at making me believe I’m the problem, that no one cares and that I’m attention seeking. It’s just so chaotic and destructive and I can’t go on trying to put on a brave face.

debc
      Participant

Hi Ruby123,

Welcome to the Forum, where you will get good advice and read the other stories, people in the same situation.

I must first of all tell you that YOU are not the problem, never believe that you are, they blame everybody apart from themselves.

Being an addict to drugs/alcohol is a serious illness, but they can get help if they want it, but only if they want it.

There are on line meetings every day, which is a good place to start.

Having a baby must be so worrying for you at the moment, but just concentrate on you and the baby.

Just know your not alone in all of this, keep talking on here, take care.

Dx

friendnum8
      Participant

But you can! Put on that brave face! You have a wonderful beautiful baby that needs a strong mommy! And you are strong! I love that you’ve reached out! Remember that you ARE worthy of love and worthwhile on any scale! Be the hero of your story!

Love you!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE