Newbie – Frustrated at the mother I love

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Nimbus
      Participant

Hi everyone. I am new here and I dont know what to do. My mum is a functioning alcoholic. She has had years of continuous trauma (multiple family deaths / abuse / suspicious death of a family member with police involved) all over the span of 6 years, to be honest I’m surprised in general of how she has dealt with it all. It’s now been 1.5 years since it’s calmed down, she lives with me (I don’t drink) and she gets drunk every single night, I have to follow her upstairs as she has fallen multiple times. When she is drunk she just cries and says she’s stupid and pathetic. My brother has told her that she can’t look after my nephew (her grandson) in the evening and unsupervised. 2 years ago she found her brother deceased due to his own alcoholism.

She has said she knows she has a drink problem, we had the paperwork of “next steps” that my uncle had, before he died. She has been to a clinical phycologist. We have sat down and discussed a plan (filtering down amount and I would be the one to go to the shop so she wasn’t tempted etc), what we could do in the evenings to keep her distracted.

She just won’t take the step to do it and I don’t know how much longer I can cope with it. I only have my mum and brother left now.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE