No Support Network

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      salboo
      Participant

Over the past couple of years I have realised I have no support network at all… I have cut my alcoholic mum out of my life and although I do live a fulfilling life (I enjoy my job and have a good social life) I don’t have anyone I can lean on or talk to… I am not close to any of my family and many of them don’t speak to me anymore after cutting my mum out, I have one cousin that I am very close to and can talk to as she understands and has seen all the stuff Iv been through but I don’t want to over burden her. She is always there for me but I feel like I’m always leaning on her and it’s not fair.

I have recently received counselling which has helped massively, but that is coming to an end now and while I have learnt a lot of techniques to keep me from feeling overwhelmed, I still feel like I need to talk to people about my situation. I have found that many ‘friends’ don’t really want to hear about my problems and tend to back away when I do open up. My Counsellor has encouraged me to talk to others but this isn’t working.

Does anyone else feel like they have no support network and what do you do to overcome this? I am feeling very alone at the moment.

Thanks 🙂

lindyloo
      Participant

Hi Salboo, welcome to the forum, everyone here has a loved one who has addictions and also some people in recovery offering support and advice too.

I’m sorry to read your story, such a difficult thing to go through on your own. Sometimes you have to break away from a situation for self preservation. You need to do this, or your mental and physical health will suffer.

Yes, it’s difficult to speak to others about it, you feel embarrassed or that you’re being judged for not supporting well enough. My son has alcohol and cocaine addictions and I usually post on the Theresa thread here. There are several of us mums with sons with addictions. Everyone is so understanding and supportive.

There will be others in your situation too, click onto Share your Story and scroll through.

The forum has a homepage with support and the Icarus Trust posts here too.

Please don’t feel alone, keep in touch here and speak to others, you’ll feel like a weight has been lifted off you.

Take care ❤

Lx

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE