Parent with alcohol problem

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      anonymous-20
      Participant

I have a parent who has mental health issues along with an alcohol problem. One of the issues is the he can’t see that the drinking is making him feel worse. It feels as though everything is another reason for him to drink. He has one issue after the next that is completely unbearable without drinking and I can’t see an end to the cycle. It makes me sick with worry because I can’t be there all the time. I just don’t know how to support him without seeming like I’m interfering. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

mich235
      Participant

Hi… I hope you’re ok. Your message has really touched me and not too different to mine. Difference being it’s my partner.

Has you father had a recent MH assessment? If not why not approach your family gp and ask him to see if he could have one. My partner is currently under assessment and doing well. You’d think I’d be over the moon …. and I am but suddenly ‘we’ have become him and I. Don’t be a crutch for him. Keep talking and don’t be scared to speak out.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE