Partner and addiction

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      pink36
      Participant

Hi,

I’ve been with my partner for 3 years now and found he had a cocaine addiction 6 months in to the relationship. I know I should of left then, but really did not realise how bad it was until it was disclosed he had been in addiction for 16 years, losing a long marriage and another relationship due to this.
      nearly third year in and the emotional abuse is at his worst, we have to cancel a lot of trips even to see his children because he spends all the money. He borrows and never repays, every time there is no cocaine he is like a different person doesn’t talk to me, won’t let me express my feelings and completely shuts down on me. Any longer then a few days without he tells me he doesn’t know what he wants anymore.
      He has no responsibility, no job. I work, run the house and pay nearly all the bills, but the disrespect is awful.
      I try to support him and could of paid for rehab 20 times over by now. He gets angry, calls me boring all the time. It really hurts . I know I should just leave him, but he has made me feel worthless and I’ll feel really lost. I know he can’t have a relationship until he decides to stick with recovery. Gambling is his other addiction when using too.

I feel helpless without communication.

andybuck
      Participant

I’m really sorry to hear that you’re going through such a difficult and challenging situation. It takes a lot of strength to recognize and acknowledge the impact of addiction and emotional abuse on a relationship. It’s clear that you care deeply for your partner, but it’s also crucial to prioritize your own well-being.

Living with someone struggling with addiction can be emotionally draining, and it’s understandable that you may feel lost and conflicted.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE