Please offer me advice

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      anonymous human
      Participant

Hello, I am 32 years old and both my parents are alcoholics. I have dealt with so much abuse from my father (both mentally and physically) and my mother who isn’t abusive but she will get angry when confronted about her problem. I currently live with my mother (not really by choice, personal story plus cost of living is outrageous right now) and she has been increasing her drinking. She drinks 4 nights a week (used to only be three nights a week). Worst part is she has tried to hide the additional night. I will be in my room and I will hear the kitchen tap turn on and a can of pop crack open, and when I come out of my room I can smell the alcohol. This has been happening for a little while now and so I decided to confront her about it the other night. She lied to me about it, said she wasn’t drinking and said she was just filling up the water jug. I am not stupid. I know what she was doing. And then she lied about lying about it. Worst part is, my aunt is a chronic alcoholic and my mom will be the first one to complain about my aunt and fails to see herself. It is aggravating. I really don’t know what to do. I F-ing hate alcohol. My whole life I have been dealing with this problem from my family. I don’t know what to do anymore. I understand the fact that my grandmother is on my moms mind a lot (she’s 92, and slowing down fast).

I really don’t know what to do about it. I don’t know what kind of advice I am looking for either. Confrontation with someone with substance abuse issues is never easy.

anonymous human
      Participant

I forgot to mention she uses the pop to mix a drink. Hard liquor.

careaboutyou
      Participant

Hi there,

I feel so sorry for you, you are surrounded by horrors. You are sensible enough to realise that you don’t want this lifestyle. I suspect that you have only lightly touched on what you go through living with your Parents. As a widow of an alcoholic, I know how bad things can get.

My advice is this: You are 32 years old, don’t waste anymore of your life being wrapped up with their problems. The effect that it has already had on you, must be devastating. You need to find a way to leave and live somewhere else.

I know that you say you can’t afford it, but there has to be a way??? Think hard………can you move in with a friend? Share a place with a friend? Get a job where you have accommodation included. I don’t know much about council housing but you could try and apply for a flat, as you are in distress….Do you have any family members that you could live with who are not drinkers?

Get out, save yourself, get as far away from all of them as possible. My hopes and prayers are with you.

Good luck.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE