Prescription opioid addiction

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      stupidcupid
      Participant

I am new to this website and forum. We have so many questions as we are in what is to us a totally alien and worrying situation, but it’s a situation that I can see is familiar to people posting with such sympathy and humanity on here. Briefly, our son has been on opioids from the GP for several years and he does acknowledge that he’s addicted. He is incredibly angry and blames the original GP who put him on this drug. He has a young family whom we see often, although they don’t live near us. He has just had a year with basically no work after attempting to be self-employed, and with bits of financial support from both sets of parents he was trying to follow a drug reduction programme (with a different GP) but with only limited success. However because the family was suffering a severe shortage of money he has now accepted quite a well-paid job and is pleased with his situation in many ways– he certainly seems less depressed now he’s not stuck at home and has a bit of money in his pocket. BUT he presented this as “we” (his wife and the wider family) were forcing him to go back to work against his will, so he can’t now continue the reduction programme. He told us a while back that the GP had said he wouldn’t be able to do the reduction programme and hold down a job. This goes round and round in my head. It seems such an unhelpful thing to have said… but perhaps it’s true? So my big, first question on this forum is this: I do realise that reducing is incredibly hard, but can anyone tell me whether it is possible to work and reduce drug dependency at the same time, or is he indeed in an either/or situation? I don’t know what to believe.

icarus-trust
      Participant

Hello,

Thank you for posting about your son. You obviously have questions that you need answering so I wonder whether you would like to contact The Icarus Trust. We are a charity that provides support to people who are living with the impact of a family member’s addiction. Maybe talking with one of our trained and experienced people would help you to find answers and information that you seek.

You can contact us on help@icarustrust.org or visit the website http://www.icarustrust.org

Good luck.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE