Sandra

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      sandra
      Participant

I have just had my hopes dashed again today by my 37 year old son who has been a drug addict for the past 14 years. Just found out that he had spent the rent money I gave him last month so faces eviction unless I pay the arrears. I feel like I am on a roller coaster with him as he tells me lies and then dashes my hopes when I find him out. I feel like a drug addict myself as I always end up helping him out and have just about spent all our savings. I cant bear to think what would become of him if I wasn’t here. I am 69 and still working so that we can manage. I cant see an end to the lies and disappointments, he has an eight year old son who lives with his mother thankfully and we do what we can to help them. I know that there is a nice person there underneath trying to get out so will probably carry on doing what I can to support him, but feel so sad most of the time.

brokenmam
      Participant

I feel your pain Sandra, my son too is a Heroin addict, he lies steals, builds up my hopes and then shoots me down, I too feel scared and sad all the time but go to work everyday ( i am a drug worker !!!) and paint a smile on my face, my heart hurts and I am sick of covering for him so his siblings and step dad dont hate him, I love him dearly and I cannot give up on him, I just wanted to let you know you are not alone x

sandra
      Participant

Thank you for your comment, it is comforting to know there is someone who understands. I used to cover up for him with his siblings and dad but have stopped doing that now and it has made things easier for me as I don’t feel quite so isolated. He is undertaken to do a programme in the community and is on methadone now, he used to take heroin, but don’t know if he can stick to it, he has tried in the past and failed, but I have to hope that eventually he will get better as I will never be able to give up on him x

icarus-trust
      Participant

Hi Sandra.
      So sorry to read your story and see how sad your son’s addiction makes you.
      You aren’t alone and if you would like to talk with people who do understand what you are going through please contact The Icarus Trust. We are a charity that supports the families and friends of addicts. If you contact us we can put you in touch with one of our ‘Family Friends’. These are our experienced trained volunteers.
      You can contact us on help@icarustrust.org or visit the website http://www.icarustrust.org
      I hope that this helps.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE