Sisters drug use destroying family

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      magpie18
      Participant

Hi all,

I really don’t where to begin as my sister has been abusing drugs for a long time, however things have got worse recently. She has a young daughter who I currently care for as agreed by social services mum still has Parental Responsibility.

She has said a numerous times she’s taking her daughter back but as a family are so concerned As a lot of emotional/mental abuse as well as violence to my niece by sister to ensure she doesn’t say anything to the family and or school and as my niece is a sick child who is also unde the hospital on daily medication which her mother doesn’t give her and stick to the diet the hospital says to keep my niece well as it’s paramount the diet and medication is adhered too. Yet my sister neglects this also my sister has.does use drugs in front of her taken her to buy drugs. Not only this the other things my niece has been exposed too the amount of different people my sister has been in a relationship with be it male or female. I’m so frustrated that social services are not putting my niece at the forefront of all this as they have offered my sister support/help yet my niece has to wait and also the social services are not getting a full picture as at the moment their focus seems to be mum and not the child. I desperately want my sister to get clean/stable as been a long time coming as the person I know she is and who she could be is lost!! She could be the best mummy but drugs/screwing people over/manipulation of others seem to be all consuming of her at the moment and I’m at a loss where to go what to do this is not even touching the surface of everything as I’m sure you all know but I’m wondering if anyone has experience of social services and looking after the drug users children

I’m sorry if this doesn’t make sense I feel lost/frustrated please any advice would be greatly received

amethyst
      Participant

Hi I’m sorry to hear what you are going through and I suppose I am one step behind you. I can relate this as I am concerned about my sister. I’ve discovered she has been using drugs and has a little tot with medical needs. They are under the radar of social services too but I’m not closley involved so I don’t know what they are doing and they definitely don’t know about it. Having already lost a parent to an accidental overdose following a long battle with drug addiction, I am sick to find my sister doing this and find myself in the same position or worse now there is a child. Fortunately Dad is now looking after both of them (parents were not together before) but he has a lot of issues to deal with too and he’s finding it all very overwhelming. I’m doing what I can to support him. There is a drug debt to a dealer and an ex partner threatening to blow the lid out so he has one over her. I am scared and confused about what to do. The truth of her situation tells me she is a ticking time bomb. How did you end up looking after your niece?

icarus-trust
      Participant

Hi Magpie and Amethyst,

I am sorry to read your posts and see how difficult you are finding coping with both of your sister’s addictions, especially how it impacts on their children.

Perhaps you would like to contact us at The Icarus Trust. We are a charity that supports people dealing with the affect of a loved one’s addiction. We have experienced, trained people that you could talk to and they may be able to help.

You can contact us on help@icarustrust.org or visit the website http://www.icarustrust.org

I hope that this helps. All the best to you both.

worriedsister
      Participant

I can’t really be of much use to you as I am going through the same thing with my older sister.

It’s really caused so many issues and arguments and upset it’s untrue.

We really struggle to understand what my sister is going through and I feel guilty for resenting her.

I am worried sick for her children as they are now under child protection

I hope things improve for you both x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE